The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 1)

" Pollster John McLaughlin’s memo to Jason Miller shows that battleground voters…"

Jason Miller, Trump’s chief strategist and spokesman? As in… the pollster’s poll confirms what the client wanted to confirm?

2 Likes

Bill? :wink:

Always happy to see more options for impact investing. I don’t agree with their underlying values, but I’ve been a fan of impact investing since I’ve started actively investing a couple years ago.

I think there should be consequences, with all options on the table in the Senate. As I think Shinobi posted above, Senators can expel other Senators. I think that option should be on the table.

But the no-fly list? Not sure I see the point. Do they think Cruz and Hawley are going to leave DC and escape the country? Is anyone really worried that they would be involved in a plane hijacking? I don’t see the purpose of the no-fly list here, and I absolutely don’t think it should be used as a punishment.

2 Likes

The Trump response to a large scale assault on our Capitol:

“Nearly a week after a mob stormed the US Capitol building, not a single federal official has hosted a public briefing to inform Americans about what happened, and what the federal government is doing to bring insurrectionists to justice.”

Are they? How about Republicans, are most of them not poor? Let’s talk median, not average, because I’m pretty sure that most of the very rich do not want to pay taxes, so that would skew the average.

Well mine was more of a sarcastic comment, and it would be unlikely for most of a large group to be “poor” if that typically would mean the bottom say 20-25% of an income or wealth distribution (can’t have everyone above or below average, after all).

this isn’t exactly the answer to your question, but this article from almost 10 years ago shows party affiliation by low/middle/high income buckets. Broadly, the low income group was 40 D / 20 R / 40 Independent, while the middle and high income groups were all about equally split.

Here’s another article on party by assets/wealth, showing more recent data and how a large majority of the poorest groups are Democrat while others are more evenly split but getting more Republican at the high wealth levels.

Given elections have been pretty close in recent years, so you might think the groups are about equal in size, you could guess that the median Democratic is more poor than the median Republican. There is certainly room for confounding factors like turnout vs affiliation, independent voters and their skew for how they actually voted recently, and average vs median effects esp for wealth when you’ve got guys like Musk or Bezos counting for way more than some cities.

Forget the pro-Trump crowd, even old libertarians are unwelcome by our Tech Overlords.

Something akin to this happened in reverse years ago inside New York State. Of course farmers there are blue state farmers, overwhelmingly against their will. Anyway:

Urban New Yorkers, who are predominantly global warming fanatics, made it impossible for upstate farmers to take advantage of the rich natural gas reserves which underlie their large farms. They did this by imposing a statewide fracking ban.

Many of the farmers were on financially shakey ground and desperately needed the help profits from their natural gas would have provided. Too many were forced to sell their large land holdings, at vastly reduced prices, to the same downstate (urban) New Yorkers who had devastated them in the first place.

Impeachment 2.0

It looks like a certainty at this point.

But I am unsure what will ensue thereafter:

Will Nancy send it over to the Senate pronto, or wait until Democrats are in charge there?

Will Mitch and Schumer arrive at an agreement to call the Senate back into session and take up 2.0 straightaway? Or will things drag out?

All the above a mystery for me. But the really big question, the most important of all, looms:

If Trump can somehow be removed by a 2/3 Senate vote, regardless when that happens, how many Senate votes are then needed to disqualify him?

Nobody appears to have the answer to that one. There is no precedent.

This is gonna be interesting. :grinning:

ETA

Searching for answers, found this:

In 1862, a federal judge named West Hughes Humphreys was impeached by the House. When it came time for the Senate to pronounce judgement, the body determined that the decisions of whether to remove and whether to disqualify were separable. The Senate first voted by two-thirds majority to convict and remove Humphreys, and then took a second vote, under a simple majority requirement, to disqualify him from future federal office.

And also this:

A disqualification was voted upon in 1913 in a case involving federal judge Robert Archbald. Archbald was convicted by a two-thirds majority in the Senate, and then, in a separate vote, he was disqualified from holding future office on a simple majority vote of 39 to 35.

So there is precedent after all, but nothing recent and nothing relating to a POTUS.

1 Like

The Qanon party is really a circus in the House.

Communist, and former longtime California Senator Barbara Boxer, has decided to forego her payday with money coming from her communist Chinese benefactors.

Boxer has told Axios she will deregister as a foreign agent for Hikvision, a Chinese surveillance firm accused of abetting the country’s mass internment of Uighur Muslims, after President-elect Joe Biden’s inaugural committee said it’s refunding a donation from the California Democrat.

OK, fair enough. But has Boxer decided to embrace America and cast aside entirely her communist Chinese love affair? Stay tuned.

Lel. You’re on both sides, the hikvision/dahua bans were initiated through congress over Trump’s objections. Afterall, Trump clearly thinks (and directly said) Xi was doing the right thing with the Uighers and the Don fully supports the oppression, and laments he couldn’t do similar policies here to rig the election.

No. I do not believe Trump is a communist. Period. And Boxer clearly is. She is a Democrat, after all. QED

Did you mean “Lol”? I don’t know what “Lel” means.

The Art of the Deal: A great negotiator; friendly, persuasive, kind, showing how both sides benefit:

“You can either go down in history as a patriot,” Trump told Pence, according to two people briefed on the conversation, “or you can go down in history as a pussy.”

"the president publicly excoriated the vice president at an incendiary rally and sent agitated supporters to the Capitol, where they stormed the building — some of them chanting “Hang Mike Pence.”

"Evacuated to the basement, Pence huddled for hours while Trump tweeted out an attack on him rather than call to check on his safety."

https://news.yahoo.com/pence-reached-limit-trump-wasnt-130817179.html

"Not everyone gave Pence much credit, arguing that he should hardly be lionized for following the Constitution and maintaining that his deference to the president for nearly four years enabled Trump’s assault on democracy in the first place.

“I’m glad he didn’t break the law, but it’s kind of hard to call somebody courageous for choosing not to help overthrow our democratic system of government,” said Rep. Tom Malinowski, D-N.J. “He’s got to understand that the man he’s been working for and defending loyally is almost single-handedly responsible for creating a movement in this country that wants to hang Mike Pence.”

Then the residents of NYC need to sue the city. They’re messing with public assets to indulge their personal opinions. Or those contracts were inappropriately awarded in the first place, which is an entirely different matter but equally actionable…

https://www.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/13/politics/camp-auschwitz-shirt-capitol-arrested/index.html

That’s DeBlasio in a nutshell.