The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 1)

I don’t believe in the snow it’s a hoax. I have a medical condition I can’t wear a jacket, jackets don’t work I still got cold

“Y’all can you believe the Texas government right now. They are telling us all that we need to stay at home for our safety.”

“I’m getting out of this country. I’m moving to Alaska.”

3 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/blackouts-cascade-beyond-texas-in-deepening-power-crisis/ar-BB1dGFEu

#TrumpEnergyCrisis Thanks, Trump! We need more DEREGULATION! (or it’s somehow Biden’s fault he didn’t overhaul it in under a month?)

Dude

All reports are saying that percentage was close to HALF!!

You live there. You should know this stuff. Pull your head out of the sand and inform yourself.

Yes, half of a (relatively) small number is an even smaller number… wind was a small minority of the capacity knocked offline, it was mostly the other generation plants.

Wind capacity doesn’t come close to other forms of generation capacity. This statement is just downright misguided.

2018 mind you. Next congressional district over from where I live, this isn’t a secret here. His voters don’t care though, he’s got an R next to his name…

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2020/02/12/jim-jordan-accused-cover-up-sexual-abuse-ohio-state

Eight wrestlers have said publicly that Jordan was aware of—and did not do anything to stop—Strauss’s systemic abuse.

One former wrestler, Dunyasha Yetts, recounted to NBC News an instance in which he was abused and told Jordan directly. Another former wrestler, Shawn Dailey, later corroborated the story.

“I remember I had a thumb injury and went into Strauss’ office and he started pulling down my wrestling shorts,” he said. “I’m like, what the f— are you doing? And I went out and told Russ and Jim what happened. I was not having it. They went in and talked to Strauss.”

Yetts said he and his teammates talked to Jordan numerous times about Strauss.

“For God’s sake, Strauss’s locker was right next to Jordan’s and Jordan even said he’d kill him if he tried anything with him,” Yetts said.

DiSabato has said that Jordan gave out a certificate each year called “King of the Sauna,” to the person with the most clever banter while in the shower—a shower where Strauss allegedly performed the bulk of his sexual abuse. Jordan, DiSabato said, hung out in the sauna daily.

A spokesman for Jordan previously confirmed to the Columbus Dispatch that he did give out that award, but denied allegations that the legislator saw any abuse take place in the sauna.

Since these allegations surfaced in 2018, Jordan has apparently tried to cover-up the cover-up.

In May 2019, Mike DiSabato stated in a Title IX lawsuit against Ohio State that Jordan’s second cousin aimed to “intimidate and retaliate” against him for speaking out publicly. Later that year, Jordan, his younger brother and another former wrestling coach were accused of witness tampering and intimidation in their attempt to suppress accusations from a former wrestler, according to NBC News.

Jordan has, too, denied those allegations.

Tx it’s > 15%. But it’s not intended for base capacity, it’s just the cheapest thing they could build.

But yes, the 5GW was about… wait for it… 15% of the total capacity loss (at least early yesterday where it was over 30GW offline , haven’t looked/ found more recent breakdowns. Except to say the wind is coming back up today while the rest is not…)

Edit:i think i had some MW typos in previous comments. GW.

As I pointed out upthread, any wind power outages in Texas are entirely the fault of the political leadership Texas, which runs it’s own grid and sets it’s own regulations via an agency that the governor appoints the leadership of.

For the record, that’s this guy, a Republican.

According to the article I posted originally:

Wind turbines accounted for almost a quarter of Texas’s energy in 2020, making it the second-largest power source after natural gas.

We can argue, I suppose, about the impact of losing 12% of a state’s generation capacity, especially given a significant number of their reliable NG generating stations were down for maintenance at the time.

I suspect they were counting on all those unreliable frozen wind turbines. And when the turbines froze up, blackouts ensued.

That’s not peak capacity though… wind takes up more generation throughout the year when less power is consumed. But it’s a smaller portion on peak days. Which is what’s relevant in this situation.

But yes, the amount that went offline was a smaller percentage than the rest of the generation that went offline… The wind thus has shown to be much more reliable during this grid failure.

That’s not what happened. You’re math is flawed. You’re conflating energy generated over the year with capacity. It doesn’t work that way. It is confusing, and easy mistakes to make.

Edit: ~45GW offline Tuesday morning
https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/we-have-seen-nothing-like-this-ercot-ceo-says-agency-still-cant-predict-when-texas-power-outages-will-end/287-6fb9564b-fd08-4ec6-acf5-a022971720ad

1 Like

Kamal, to be clear as I’m able:

My attack is far less on any political leaders and far more on the global warming screamers who promote use of ridiculous wind turbines. This latest failure is just one on a long list of those associated with wind turbines.

Also, for the record and regarding renewables:

I have far less problem with solar generation than I do with wind turbines. Solar actually makes sense in certain locations. But even more important to me personally as one who cherishes a natural environment:

Solar generation is low to the ground. All right, it might be ugly and unnatural, but you cannot see solar from far away. The wind turbines are four hundred feet tall. They destroy the natural environment.

To those who favor wind turbines I say: “fine” But build the damn things where YOU live. Don’t try to build them here where I live. They destroy our way of life. And all the red lights at night make our serene country surroundings look like a giant bordello.

Energy is different than power. Just because a quarter of energy produced in ERCOT was from wind, does not mean that wind accounts for a quarter of available capacity.

Edit: I was late to the game with this reply, as Bender already said this, but I figured I’d address you directly since you quoted me directly.

1 Like

As I also pointed out, wind power doesn’t have problems in places that plan properly for cold weather, such as where I live in Ohio (Republican dominated state government btw).

Of course, it’s not as if Texas hasn’t had problems with cold causing blackouts. Texas: Not learning from their own cold weather power issues since 1989 (at least).

" That investigation revealed what happened in 2011, also happened in 1989, which is the first time ERCOT ever implemented rotating outages.

"The experiences of 1989 are instructive, particularly on the electric side. In that year, as in 2011, cold weather caused many generators to trip, derate, or fail to start. The [Public Utility Commission of Texas] investigated the occurrence and issued a number of recommendations aimed at improving winterization on the part of the generators.

These recommendations were not mandatory, and over the course of time implementation lapsed. Many of the generators that experienced outages in 1989 failed again in 2011," the investigation discovered."

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2021/02/15/dallas-winter-storm-freeze.html

Texas is now unable to perform even basic functions of civilization, like having reliable electricity.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1296134869320380419

1 Like

I agree the Texas GOP is unable to provide even basic functions of civilization. One little emergency and the whole place collapses and they have no idea when the power might come back on.

We had an emergency in Oregon too. Power outages, damaged homes, …
This isn’t about politics, IMO.

1 Like

Parler banned Yolo Minneapolis, for exercising his free speech.

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1361747894412345355

3 Likes