The 2022 election politics

Political genius at the Justice Department?

Maybe. I dunno. But it appears regardless to be manifesting that way. Pipsqueak AG Garland has landed a serious blow on behalf of Democrats and smack on the chin of Republicans nationwide. Credit must be awarded when due. And the little man deserves credit for this, whether intended or not!!

With his Mar-a-Lago raid two weeks ago, Garland has succeeded in deflecting focus AWAY from Biden’s ubiquitous failures and smack dab onto Donald Trump, who is always welcoming of any sort of attention or controversy. Trouble is, November’s Republican candidates need the spotlight to be squarely on Biden . . . . certainly NOT on Trump. And have you noticed how wisely Biden has been playing this? He has remained all but out of sight throughout. Why, he might as well be back in his basement!!

Biden’s failures as POTUS have been overwhelming, both here at home and abroad. But with the public enthralled by the Trump raid instead, Biden is able to skate.

Credit for this to Garland.

One final thought for those paying close attention:

There is an unwritten rule at Justice. Their 90 day rule requires no actions within that time prior to an election which might upset the election. Garland timed the raid two weeks back so as to be exactly 90 days prior to the eighth of November. Ya gotta give the little guy credit. :wink:

2 Likes

This cuts multiple ways. It certainly has mobilized Republicans. The Democrat far left are giddy but they would never vote for a Republican anyway. I think the people in the center are horrified or at least concerned about this unprecedented ( at least in American history ) attack on a political opponent. The left media are concerned about this backlash. Notice that they call it a search and not a raid.

The attack also steps on the Democrats crowing about their spend a Palooza bill.

So definitely a mixed bag

1 Like

True. But many of those folks were already in the Trump camp.

I think the jury is still out on that one. It remains to be seen whether or not Garland can make any sort of case.

At least this matter apparently will not be adjudicated in Washington, DC. There, short of the SCOTUS, Trump would have no chance whatsoever.

And the longer it takes, the more those people are going to start buying into the notion it was a baseless political attack. 90 days with no movement is a long time to expect people to sit patiently and not start speculating.

1 Like

I wrote that yesterday. We now know I was wrong. Here is the correction:

Credit for this to Biden!

The raid was a Biden setup from the get go. Biden, weeks ago, waived Trump’s executive privilege!!! That opened the door.

But wait!, you scream. Does Biden have the power and authority to do that??

Truth is, nobody knows. It’s a gray region of law which never has been adjudicated fully. From a purely Democrat perspective it was a balls move by Biden to facilitate an attack on his principal political opponent. Absent that exercise of power by Biden, Garland would never have raided Mar-a-Lago!!

That letter revealed Biden empowered the National Archives and Records Administration to waive any claims to executive privilege that Trump might assert to block DOJ from gaining access to the documents.

Alan Dershowitz, the famed Harvard law professor emeritus and lifelong Democrat, reviewed some of the correspondence at Just the News’ request. He said the Biden White House’s eagerness to waive Trump’s claims of privilege could have future implications for generations of presidents to come.

“I was very surprised,” Dershowitz said after reading the text of Wall’s letter. “The current president should not be able to waive the executive privilege of a predecessor, without the consent of the former president. Otherwise, [privilege] means nothing. What president will ever discuss anything in private if he knows the man who beat him can and will disclose it.”

While some courts have upheld the notion of a successor president waiving privilege for a predecessor, Dershowitz said the matter remains to be decided definitively by the U.S. Supreme Court.

“The best thinking is that an incumbent president cannot waive the right of the previous president,” he said in a phone interview with Just the News. “It would make a mockery of the whole notion of privilege.

ETA

In a related matter, the Trump team has finally gotten around formally to demanding appointment of a special master to review the material stolen from Mar-a-Lago. It’s now known the FBI vacuum cleaned the joint of documents, even taking Trump’s passport and going through Melania’s clothes closet! And we know (see above) how they are circumventing Trump’s executive privilege.

But there remains the issue of lawyer-client privilege, something which has not been circumvented and which likely is under assault by Garland right this moment. It only took the Trump team two weeks to get their act together. Geez!

3 Likes

Great ad by Ron DeSantis. Top Gun theme. By the way he served in the Navy and was deployed to Iraq where he served in administrative positions. The ad is effective as judged by the furious backlash by the left-wing media

https://twitter.com/CaseyDeSantis/status/1561872752222535681?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1561872752222535681|twgr^4bf90c46d9923d0522c0f9282b5444a43acf58f8|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthepoliticalinsider.com%2Fwatch-desantis-releases-epic-new-top-gun-themed-campaign-ad-you-dont-want-to-miss%2F

2 Likes

More good stuff from Governor DeSantis in yesterday’s election

The Sarasota County School Board was flipped from liberal to conservative, much to the delight of DeSantis, who endorsed three candidates in that election alone.

“Sarasota School Board had a 3-2 liberal majority,” said Christina Pushaw, the director for DeSantis’s reelection campaign. “Today @RonDeSantisFL endorsed candidates won and flipped the school board so it’s now 4-1 anti wokes indoctrination and pro parental rights.”

Edit. The left wing news media are not amused LOL

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/desantis-endorsed-30-school-board-candidates-across-florida-they-did-very-well/ar-AA113HzX

The victories — in historically sleepy, nonpartisan races — will solidify support for the type of hyper-conservative education policies DeSantis has been pushing throughout the state, particularly on topics of race and gender identity.

2 Likes

I find it really funny how anything “not hyper radical” now gets denounced as being “hyper-conservative”.

2 Likes

endorse 30 candidates in nonpartisan school board races

If they’re nonpartisan, how will they solidify support for something partisan?

By the way he served in the Navy and was deployed to Iraq where he served in administrative positions.

I think he stands the chance of being ridiculed HARD for co-opting Top Gun as a former desk-jockey.

I don’t say that to take away from anyone’s time in the service - but there is a pretty significant difference between being a lawyer/admin-role, even on deployment, versus being in an actual combat role.

The elections are called nonpartisan because the candidates do not declare their political party. But the school boards are definitely partisan in their actions. The left relied on lack of partisan labels to get their radical stealth candidates elected. The governors team made sure the voters understood what his endorsed candidates were going to do and the voters responded by electing them.

1 Like

Of course the left will use anything they can to attack him. If you look at the ad though it is really funny and well done as he takes on the left wing news media. if the left media’s attacks cause more people to watch the video, it’s definitely a gain for him.

btw. you use the term desk jockey but plenty of US military who weren’t in direct combat were killed or injured by IED and other terrorist attacks in Iraq.

2 Likes

btw. you use the term desk jockey but plenty of US military who weren’t in direct combat were killed or injured by IED and other terrorist attacks in Iraq.

He wasn’t one of those people, so my comment stands.

(a lawyer/admin role was almost certainly never in a situation where IEDs would be a risk, though he may have been in a location to get to see the “friday night lights”, depending on when he was over there)

Not an attack, but just to confirm, he was not in any danger? OTOH, didn’t he serve at Fort Hood? That would definitely put him in the line of fire.

Not an attack, but just to confirm, he was not in any danger? OTOH, didn’t he serve at Fort Hood? That would definitely put him in the line of fire.

Pretty sure if you look at the actuarial stats, the risk of death or severe injury to admin people who stayed on base overseas was lower than if they were going about their daily lives back home, just due to how controlled the environment is.

And Ft Hood, while a shocking event simply for having happened in a controlled facility such as a military base, is a pretty poor example of him being at exceptional risk due to his time in service. Workplace violence happens everywhere - and every one of us, those working at Ft Hood included, are a lot more likely to die in a fiery car crash during our daily commute.

Just to put it another way – while there were definitely overseas intelligence officers (sometimes also thought of as “chairborne” rather than “airborne”) that had to go to some very dangerous places under extremely difficult conditions – “admin” roles and lawyers, especially, were almost universally not in conditions particularly more dangerous than normal life back home. The danger they were exposed to was different – but not more likely to result in their death or injury, overall, versus being in the states.

I was not there. Were you?

1 Like

Not personally, but I have enough close family that made the trip to know what the situation was.

(if you’re reply is intending to imply that “if you weren’t there, you can’t comment/criticize” – I think that is a misguided attitude for this sort of thing, in general)

Anyway – this is diverged from the original point, a bit – which isn’t to say that military service (even desk jobs) aren’t at least a sort of sacrifice of personal autonomy – but that someone with a desk job as a lawyer/admin co-opting naval aviation to pretend to be a hotshot/badass is silly, at best.

HUUUUUGE SHOCK!!

(not)

Caruso is still up in the Valley . . . . but only by two points!

And Karen is kicking his butt elsewhere.

1 Like

DeSantis volunteering to serve in the military is indeed commendable.

I do not think he is pretending to be a hotshot pilot. To me the ad draws an analogy of the hit movie with the way DeSantis takes on the left-wing media. And he is indeed very effective in fending off their attacks and turning them back on them. I think the ad is effective and works for him because the news media are unpopular with both sides of the aisle.

1 Like

We are going to see more of these push polls as the election approaches. Recall the poll released a few days before the 2020 election that claimed Biden was up on Trump in Wisconsin by 17 percentage points.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523093-biden-up-17-points-in-new-wisconsin-poll/

1 Like