The 2024 election politics

Interesting timing to quit. Maybe forced resignation?

After that embarrassment, there had to be a resignation at a senior engineering level. Whoever was in charge of the Twitter Space project had to hit the road.

The freedom caucus Republicans are not happy with the debt ceiling deal. It’s going to have to pass with Democrat votes. Will this cause McCarthy to lose his speaker seat? I hope not. Who are the Republicans going to replace him with?

As for the investment implications, reckless government spending will continue for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obama-agreed-to-2-1-trillion-in-spending-cuts-to-end-2011-debt-ceiling-crisis-here-s-what-happened-next/ar-AA1bSlBy?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ee6bef84ff6b440a93a50dee126e3d9a&ei=22

Obama agreed to $2.1 trillion in spending cuts to end 2011 debt ceiling crisis. Here’s what happened next.

Wait, what was all that jawing from Biden about how attaching conditions and spending cuts to raising the debt ceiling was unprecidented and nothing but Congress abdicating their responsibility?

1 Like

What does this accomplish? All the cash raised today will be spent literally tomorrow repaying the debt. All it does is blow extra cash paying interest for borrowed money they didn’t have any time to spend.

3 Likes

This is showboating trying to scare the markets. It did not work. Standard & Poor’s 500 up 1% today while 4-week T-bill rates actually decreased the last few days.

1 Like

Another W for DeeSantis

Edit
As someone used to say, we’re going to win so much we will get tired of winning

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. The state clearly engaged in a campaign of retaliation and bullying. Even a Trump-appointed judge should see that.

The state just has Disney operating under the same conditions that every other company in Florida does. This is a not bullying. There is no natural right to your own self governing district.

1 Like

None of that matters. The conditions existed for a long time and for a good reason. The change was a retaliation.

This is getting tedious. I will try to inject some facts into the discussion. Here is Disney’s motion to the court.

Reading the topics, they claim contract clause, takings clause, due process clause, and first amendment violations. IANAL so it’ll be interesting to see this play out.

Meantime we have this from securities lawyers

1 Like

Maybe retaliation, or maybe because the district was no longer fulfilling it’s stated purpose. It had pretty clearly begun pushing political agendas unrelated to it’s economic purpose.

All the State did was take away Disney’s sham governance, by replacing their shill board with a State-appointed one. And it rescinded contracts that were handed out by that shill board in it’s final days as a means to neuter the effect of the incoming board.

Everyone can argue about this being appropriate or not, but these look like the only relevant issues involved. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary grandstanding on both sides.

3 Likes

You could do a lot worse than this suggestion for 2024.

1 Like

sleepy eyes is leaving

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/chuck-todd-leaving-nbc-political-panel-show-meet-the-press-and-being-replaced-by-kristen-welker/ar-AA1c6KNn

The real reason?

In the just-concluded television season, “Meet the Press” was third in viewers after CBS’ “Face the Nation” and ABC’s “This Week,” each of them averaging between 2.5 million and 2.9 million viewers, the Nielsen ratings company said.

1 Like

MeToo doesn’t apply if you accuse a Democrat. Biden rape victim flees to Russia after fearing for her life here. Guess the Big Guy is running in 2024 and doesn’t want any embarrassments.

3 Likes

Bullshit. This is either Stockholm syndrome, part of her deal with ru gov, or both.

You can be 100% certain that anyone who flees to Russia does not have any choice in what they say. There’s no freedom of speech or the press – the press is owned and tightly controlled by the state. I feel sorry for such people – they will never feel at home, and their safety is conditional.

2 Likes

Wow! You are a true sympath-American. I expected more from a Communistalifornian.

1 Like

Absolutely. It does say something though- not that she suddenly loves Russia, a very odd view for an American to suddenly adopt these days, but that her perceived alternatives for personal liberty and safety were better there than here. Like for Snowden, I’m sure this wasn’t a decision made lightly and I suspect this one will turn out to be a similar indictment of the US.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure he was trying to imply that the whole story was more [alleged] Russian misinformation, and she was merely fleeing back to those who put her up to making the accusation in the first place.

1 Like

the Russians are so smart when it comes to influencing our politics - a few $100k of Facebook ads stole the election from Hillary and now the media will claim the Russian got a junior Congressional staffer on their spying payroll 20 years early just in case the Big Guy manages to make something of his career in the early 90s and they need some leverage? Quite the contrast to their military smarts over the last year, hmm.

3 Likes