When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated?

I don’t know, Honkinggoose. You may have to give this vaccine deal a chance.
Your odds now are 2 against scripta’s 6.

So as I talked earlier about vaccine availability in CA its still lacking. As I’ve been saying you need to know someone to get vaccinated AT THIS moment. So still true.

My dh & I got shot a couple days ago.(did have to drag him in) Hopefully scripta’s odds are with us. :relaxed:

2 Likes

For half the time between shots, the vaccine offers no protection. So “between their first and second shots” is far to vague to be a meaningful datapoint.

I’m guessing that eventually it will be determined that the second shot mostly just doubles the cost of vaccinating everyone. That two weeks after being jabbed the vaccine is at top effectiveness, and the second shot is solely for durability - which no one really knows if the first shot lacks, since everyone has received two shots from the first trial.

1 Like

I thought I watched somewhere a scientific video that explained why 2 shots are necessary. Something like the 1st one trains the immune response to recognize the spike protein and create a defense against it, but it’s only in short-term immune memory (don’t remember the cell type), while the 2nd one forces it into long-term memory (T-cells?) or something.

And this isn’t the only vaccine that requires multiple shots – see children’s vaccination schedule. A bunch of them are 2, 3, or 4-dose series. Though the explanation for some of them is different (maternal immune cells protect the baby for about a year and render early vaccinations useless), for others the final dose happens 2-4 years after the initial few.

3 Likes

And old people’s vaccination schedule - the latest shingles vaccine is a two doser.

1 Like

That’s the general jist of it. Except for the fact the from the very first injection in the very first trial, there has been a second injection 4 weeks later. So there is zero data regarding the actual durability of the first injection. And while it might be a bit jaded to say, when the question becomes “should we sell twice as many doses to the same number of people?” I have a bit of trouble finding blind faith that the second shot is necessary. It’s kind of curious that the initial trials, or anything since, didnt include a one-shot test group.

3 Likes

Short excerpt of my take on the recent JNJ results, cross posted from the main thread.

But if I had a choice, I’d take one of the higher performing ones (PFE, MRNA, NVAX) over the lesser ones (AZN, JNJ). I suspect any of them will, after appropriate time to build your immunity, prevent the vast vast majority of all serious cases in both the original and variant strains, so in that sense any of these vaccines are still good ones.

5 Likes

Hope they’ll focus JNJ for younger people for ease/efficacy.

2 Likes

The great thing for the JNJ vaccine is the ability to stand up first-come-first-served mass vaccination sites without any of the logistics hassle of scheduling follow-ups or worrying about not using thawed-out vaccine with a limited shelf life…

4 Likes

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/vaccine-stocks-growing-number-seek-covid-shots-jj-launches-drug/

@glitch99 might be right about 2nd PFE MRNA dose might be overkill for the healthy

might

Here’s the explanation about the long term memory (B-cells). Summary from the last paragraph:

4 Likes

So much in this article…

.2 is 33% less than .3. While .1mL may seem negligible, 33% is not. If it doesnt matter and it’ll still work as designed (their words), why are we injecting everyone with .3mL?

A 33% variance in dosage is within “best practices”?

How does a syringe make a mistake? You either fill it to the .2 line, or you fill it to the .3 line.

Why did it take a tv station to inform those in charge of the site that this had occured, a day later?

2 Likes

Well, it was a mistake, but we can take comfort in knowing that there
are no mistakes in voting tabulations because that’s way more important than a “life saving” vaccine shot.

2 Likes

Several EU counties halting the AZN vaccine on blood clot concerns pending investigation.

five EU countries on Sunday to suspend use of a specific batch of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine as a precaution following the death of a vaccinated person.

In Europe, one person had been diagnosed with multiple blood clots and died 10 days after vaccination, the EMA said Wednesday. Another had a blood clot in their lung, and was hospitalized.

3 Likes

Oh no! I just got a call to make an appointment for the dreaded 2nd vaccination. Set for 3/18 10am.

So folks, “take your kool-aid & shut up”.

1 Like

" specific batch"= perhaps a contaminant/handling batch issue I hope. They’re using AZN vaxx in India too so millions++ of data points soon

There’s a local pop up site run by Safeway/Albertson’s which is offering JNJ. I’m going to get the shot on Saturday using a 1099 for my Postmates driving last year.

1 Like

AZN’s vaccine seems cursed. First it was the issues with the preliminary data, then it seems to be ineffective against several of the variants, now this.

I’m still looking to get the J&J once I become eligible. I’m warming up to Pfizer and Moderna options. But based on the available data, I don’t think I would get the AZN vaccine.

1 Like

AZN batch seized by authorities in Italy after a death there.

Update: They’ve suspended AZN use in all of Italy for now.

2 Likes

AZ vaccine = bad totem

Run away. Run far, far away.