When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated?

Unfortunately the alt- right nutcases have “politicised” public health, and continue to discourage vaccines and other mitigation measures.

2 Likes

Biden is farthest from squeaky clean. In fact, he’s closer to downright dirty.

As your democrat members usually state, if you don’t answer questions “we take that as a yes”. So you want to see pregnant women prepared & ready for military combat duty.

You asked if I thought pregnant women should work at all. Of course they can if that is their desire.

If a women desires to work in the military & later becomes pregnant, she has a choice. But, my opinion of a pregnant women continuing to work & prepare for military combat is ridiculous.

Doh!

I have been holding out for the JnJ.

Since Bender wants to make this a politics thread here is the obligatory shot at the Biden administration and how they cocked up the roll out after President Trump’s brilliant Operation Warp Speed developed the vaccines in an unheard of time (by idiots like Fauxshi) and had the inoculations going at warp speed in January.

do you have tl;dr on why Tucker is a white nationalist? I listened to the first eight minutes and all I got was that a self labeled white nationalist (but what is that) likes Tucker’s show. I bet a lot of Marxist killers like the idiot on the video with a fake British accent. So?

2 Likes

Study suggests those who had covid, especially a mild case, would benefit from a vaccine in terms of protection against some of the now-more-common variants esp vs the S. Africa one.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/03/24/science.abg9175

Our study suggests that most previously infected subjects will benefit from a single immunization with either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccines as it will lead to significant increases in serum neutralizing antibody responses against vaccine-matched and emerging variants. The observation that a second dose administered three to four weeks following the first in previously infected donors who have clear evidence of RBD-directed immunological memory prior to vaccination did not further boost neutralizing titers, suggests that the second dose of an mRNA vaccine could be delayed in some persons who have previously been infected with SARS-CoV-2.

1 Like

from the story about this on USA today:

In its statement, Johnson & Johnson said it remained on track to deliver “an additional 24 million single-shot vaccine doses through April.”

usatoday story

I guess both original quote and the usatoday story could be true if J and J is very optimistic about getting the production online

Some people view everything through a single lens and can’t think any other way.

That’s just what it is really. It seems to fit the anaphylaxis reaction to these vaccines. I understand caution to not cause a panic but you see where that argument went with Trump minimizing COVID in JAnuary-February 2020. You’ve got to call it honestly and not try to muddle the waters.

The CDC has good publically available info on this actually. For Pfizer for example, they reported 21 anaphylaxis cases per 1.9 million shots (11 reactions per million shots), 71% of which occurred within 15 minutes of injection. Out of 21 cases, 17 had a history of allergies or allergic reactions, 7 of which had history of anaphylaxis. That still means almost 2 per millions who never had a history of allergies, showed anaphylaxis symptoms. The truth is, it happens. I understand not wanting to make a huge deal of it for fear of limiting vaccination rate but I hope it does not get swept under the rug because it’s too inconvenient to admit that it can happen in very rare cases.

That said, if you have a history of anaphylaxis or even history of severe allergies, I’d really question the decision to get the shot. Maybe if you’re in a huge risk category. Either way, keeping this under wraps artificially actually does not help the public make informed decisions. For example, those with history of allergies may want to not get their shot at their local pharmacy but maybe at a major hospital with capability to handle potential anaphylaxis.

5 Likes

Yes COVID response and policies have been somewhat politicized like everything else lately but still Tucker segment on John Oliver show had nothing to do with COVID news or vaccination efforts.

Please don’t help turn this into another thread with negligible signal to noise ratio. Not to single out Bend3r, that goes for others also anxious to share their political views on other current events unrelated to COVID. As we’ve seen from previous data, there is almost perfect bipartisan distrust for vaccines. So no need to inject more politics into this thread and then watch the level of information and civility go down the drain in the process.

4 Likes

do you just make this up as you go along? President Trump did not minimize the Covid threat in that timeframe. He limited travel between China and the United States starting on January 31, 2020 to the outrage of the left including Joe Biden.

Trump Declares Coronavirus A Public Health Emergency And Restricts Travel From China
January 31, 2020. 4:42 PM ET

NPR article

2 Likes

Yes he sure did to his credit. The problem is that was the extent of our response until mid March. Where was ramping up testing, production and acquisition of PPE, inventory of ventilators, cohesive public messaging about the need to slow transmission by using masks and social distancing, shutting down other borders especially from Europe?

Even in April, he predicted COVID would cause maybe 50-60k deaths. I think it’s totally similar to what happens here. Trump did not want to tell the public the inconvenient truth that COVID is the real deal, and carried on the wishful thinking for too long. Just like now when some would rather not tell the public that the vaccines may cause allergic reactions in very rare cases because they really wish it weren’t so.

2 Likes

Shandril

Yes he sure did to his credit. The problem is that was the extent of our response until mid March. Where was ramping up testing, production and acquisition of PPE, inventory of ventilators, cohesive public messaging about the need to slow transmission by using masks and social distancing, shutting down other borders especially from Europe?

You’re still making it up. During this time frame both WHO and the CDC and the sainted Dr. Fauci were downplaying the threat.

The PPE problem was years in the making long before President Trump took office. he moved quickly given the constraints that they had to come from overseas

Part of the problem, experts say, is the supply chain. The U.S. has been making fewer masks, gowns and gloves domestically, and instead relied on importing those items from other countries.

ABC news

Even in April, he predicted COVID would cause maybe 50-60k deaths

When requested by the states President Trump acted quickly and effectively on things he controlled. See this story from March 30 2020 when the hospital ship Comfort sent by President Trump arrived in New York

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday the ship’s arrival means his city is "going to be able to do the life-saving work right now,” as “750 beds will be put into play immediately to relieve the pressure on our hospital system.”

“If there is ever a time that we need to work together it is today," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo added. "The president is right – this is a war. And what does this nation do when it’s at war? It comes together and it acts as one.”

news story

The ship was ultimately not used but President Trump responded when it was requestedf by the New York state officials

The US response was quicker and more effective than for example Europe. But the Wuhan virus is so amazingly contagious and spread by asymptomatic people that it most likely is an engineered virus that escaped or was released from the Wuhan virology laboratory

article from real clear science

2 Likes

didn’t help much since US nationals came over regardless and might have seeded things more. Should have stopped ALL international travel if you want to go that route. A true wall.

Technically it helped a little. Just reducing the travel bought a single digit number of days extra time to respond. Not that those days were used wisely…

1 Like

jesselivermore"

didn’t help much since US nationals came over regardless and might have seeded things more. Should have stopped ALL international travel if you want to go that route. A true wall.
[/quote]

I don’t think it’s legal for the president to stop US citizens from reentering the country. The border walls are intended to keep non-US citizens out of the country.

We can always second-guess but the president acted quickly and with urgency

“keep illegal immigrants out of the country.”

I know what you meant, but please allow me to pick a nit before you get called a Nazi.

VT has decided to let anyone who identifies as non-white get their vaccine starting now, 3 weeks before they plan a full rollout to the general adult population.

VT is something like 95% white, and apparently their political leaders are 100% woke. All Lives Don’t Matter.

2 Likes

Very racist… IMO. Reparations?? Or make Vermont folks feel good??

If being non racist is the idea, open vaccine to everyone at same time…

My guess is that they’ve noticed lower rates of vaccination among non-whites so they assumed there were barriers for non-whites to get their shots. That or the rate of infection is currently disproportionately affecting non-whites in VT. I’m not sure what could be the reason but I’d really like them to explain it.

But to compensate, they appear to be trying to get non-whites preferential access. That doesn’t feel right though. To me, only age, pre-existing conditions, work-type should be use to determine priority. There should be no racial discrimination for eligibility. I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets challenged since race is a protected class (just like age but in health emergency like this where age has been proven a factor, it’s hard to challenge).

2 Likes

It’s mighty tempting, but moving there would be further from the kids/grandkids.

2 Likes