When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated?

My first choice was MRNA, precisely because of the dosing. Deliberately extended my 2nd dose interval too. Thankfully, was all set before Delta was much of a factor.

1 Like

I hear the FDA is supposed to approve a third shot / booster for those with poor immune systems fairly soon.

Sounds like they might be trying to rush the main vaccines from emergency use (EUA) to fully approved status in the coming months also. I’m not sure if that will help with some of the reluctant people decide to get vaccinated (ie those who want a fully tested and approved vaccine, not just a EUA “probably better than not”), or whether they’ll just decide this was some politically rushed thing and then not trust that either.

Not necessarily politically rushed. Any member of BIG Pharma (as it’s referred to when it’s the boogie man) is ecstatic when trials and testing for a new drug shrinks to a year, and will probably spend research dollars to figure out how to do it again. The last phrase is sarcastic for the humor impaired.

So yes, on the advice of a doctor, researcher, dean, I will wait a few years before shooting up with the universally acclaimed miracle.

In the meantime, an 80+ year old neighbor who I spend a little time with is recovering from Covid. That, combined with having a fever and aches/pains one day last week, leads me to believe that I will be positive for antibodies within a couple of weeks. That may give me a reprieve from the "get the shot or die (by our hands) crowd. Again, the last sentence is sarcastic - nothing will be a reprieve for those people except taking the needle. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether this makes me rethink my vaccine opinion, or not …

The association between hesitancy and education level followed a U-shaped curve with the lowest hesitancy among those with a master’s degree (RR=0.75 [95% CI 0.72-0.78] and the highest hesitancy among those with a PhD (RR=2.16 [95%CI 2.05-2.28]) or ≤high school education( RR=1.88 [95%CI 1.83-1.93]) versus a bachelor’s degree.

1 Like

So Honkinggoose this article might make a believer out of you.

I read part of the article. The idea of educated people along with blacks, and other minorities not feeling good about taking the Covid vaccination earlier was quite interesting.

Republicans, Democrats, you name it, reasonable people are not interested in statistics or medical reasons for their decisions on getting shot.

One that I’m personally looking at is the Native American group of people. They are saying that we fall in with those taking the vaccination right off.

As I have said and the article points out, don’t try to make it mandatory for all the people to do anything.

Won’t work!!

1 Like
2 Likes

They went one step further today

But:

The overall plan is subject to a Food and Drug Administration evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of a third dose and a review by a CDC advisory panel.

Above recc is for mRNA (I think that is xerty’s approved notation :face_with_monocle:) vaccines. For us J and J people

People who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will also probably need extra shots, health officials said. But they said they are waiting for more data.

2 Likes

I was amongst the 1st to get it so will be due 9/11 for booster. Low risk so debating not doing it unless it includes new variants for myself. My parents already have AZN+PFE so might do theirs since high risk

Also might wait for novavax and do flu+covid combo https://www.fiercebiotech.com/research/covid-flu-combo-vaccine-from-novavax-sparks-immune-response-to-both-viruses-animals

Reading between the lines of all the news, it seems that vaccinated people are being infected by the Delta variant. Is that because the vaccine has lost effectiveness over time or because it is just not effective for it?

Probably some of both reasons.

Would you get the vaccine booster if it is just the same as the original vaccine?

J&J vaccine displays superior effectiveness against Delta Variant in giant 480,000 person Sisonke trial just completed

Title says if all. Old fashioned J&J vaccine is showing excellent results against Delta variant and still requires only a single shot!

Here’s Why Johnson & Johnson’s Vaccine Could Overtake Both Pfizer and Moderna

Note: There are also articles on this matter in both the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times, but both have impediments to access.

ETA

OK, here is an accessible report directly out of South Africa:

SA trial: Over 9 in 10 infections after a J&J vaccine ‘are only mild cases’

In a media briefing on Friday, the co-head of a Phase III trial reported Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot COVID-19 vaccine was highly effective at preventing severe disease, including among patients infected with the circulating Delta coronavirus variant.

The study, known as Sisonke, examined the efficacy of J&J’s Ad26.COV2.S COVID-19 vaccine in 477,234 South African healthcare workers. As reported by Reuters on Friday, a Sisonke investigator said the single-dose vaccine yielded a 91% to 96.2% protection rate against mortality, a 67% efficacy against infection with the Beta coronavirus variant and a 71% efficacy against the Delta variant.

“Consistently after receiving the vaccine, there was very little death occurring in the vaccinated group as compared to the control group and showing a remarkable up-to 96.2% protection against death,” said joint lead investigator Glenda Gray at a press conference. “This was our primary endpoint, and we are able to say this vaccine protected health workers against death,” she added.

Given the findings, Gray noted that the data do not yet support the need for a booster shot, at least with the J&J vaccine.

3 Likes

not the same as the original vaccine. I’ll wait or maybe take the JNJ if it does work better… Hopefully they got all their supply chain issues fixed by now.

And what, prey tell, for us H & G people? … and there’s uncle Joe, he’s a’movin kind’a slow at the Junction.

ETA: H&G = HonkingGoose. Well, it made sense in my brain when I thought it. :upside_down_face:

Not certain where I read this. And I did not post it: sorry. Probably should have.

However word on the street is that J&J finally has cleaned up all their Baltimore rat s*** and is now putting out clean vaccine.

I got their vaccine back early in April. It was made in Europe. Had no reaction to the vaccine at all. Am very pleased with my decision. But then I favor old, tried 'n true, technology. With J&J available and easier anyway (just one shot), I’m happy to leave the mRNA vaccines for others. :wink:

1 Like

too late for JNJ Ceo.

Still curious how they botched the rollout this badly and if they really have fixed the problems
J&J’s vaccine was initially touted by federal health officials as a blessing when it was authorized by the Food and Drug Administration in late February because it requires just one dose and can be stored at refrigerator temperatures for months.

It has since suffered from poor perceptions from the public about its overall effectiveness, concerns about rare side effects as well as production delays.

In April, the FDA said it was adding a warning label to J&J’s Covid vaccine, citing blood-clotting as a rare side effect.

Earlier this month, CVS Health stopped offering J&J’s single-dose Covid-19 vaccine in its pharmacies.

1 Like

Evidence for why you very likely don’t need a vaccine if you already had covid.

Conclusions Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before.

Summary Cumulative incidence of COVID-19 was examined among 52238 employees in an American healthcare system. COVID-19 did not occur in anyone over the five months of the study among 2579 individuals previously infected with COVID-19, including 1359 who did not take the vaccine.

A further review of reinfection vs vaccinated breakthrough cases shows around 1/10 the risk of getting sick for those who survived covid compared to those who were merely vaccinated. Of course all these chances are much lower than for unvaccinated and unexposed people.

Isn’t this kind of like the influenza epidemic of 1918? Before any aspersions are made, I don’t remember it. :smile:

Full FDA approval for PFE.

There is a conservative attorney in tidewater Virginia that has made a name for himself fighting “city hall” regularly and doing well (and he’s now running for delegate). He recently settled a case representing employees that were being mandated to get the vaccine by having an expert testify they didn’t need it because they already had covid and got over it. Settled in the employee’s favor. He’s advertising this fact and is taking clients that want to sue their employer. We will see this issue litigated in court soon.

1 Like

What about studies of total infection rates (including asymptomatic infections) concluding in July in places with only a 3 week lag between Pfizer shots? Qatar: 56%. Mayo Clinic/US: 42%. Israel: 39%. Interestingly, the Qatar (85%) and Mayo (76%) data for Moderna were more positive, and time will tell us more about Moderna’s durability. It’s important to note that real world data is inherently messy – vaccinated people might just be different than their unvaccinated “case controls” in a study – but when the same pattern crops up with different investigators in multiple countries, it’s probably real.

Some of this is likely due to the delta variant’s modest ability to evade immunity. Neutralizing antibody responses among both those with prior infection and vaccination are several fold less to delta than the original SARS-2-CoV strain. However, I suspect the dramatic drop in effectiveness now being seen is a product of this immune evasion being amplified by waning immunity.

This is a good article. Pretty long but worth reading. His bottom line is that the Wuhan is with us more or less permanently and that vaccines have been oversold.

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2021/08/23/lets_stop_pretending_about_the_covid-19_vaccines_791050.html

3 Likes

by Buzz Hollander - one reason to move to Hawaii. :smile: