Who will join POTUS nominee Biden on the Democrat ticket as VP?

Hillary endorses Biden as the Presidential candidate accompanying her VP run :wink: . Well, maybe just for Prez for now.

1 Like

Thank you, xerty, for posting on topic. Your post is a good one and QUITE interesting.

People, please:

This is a thread devoted to Democrat politics. We have a thread for the pandemic. Posts related to COVID-19 belong over there. Thanks

So would Hillary accept the VP spot on the ticket? I think she would. Hillary wants more than anything else to become POTUS. I doubt she is especially particular how she accomplishes that goal.

Hmmm. Maybe I missed, in my post above, the more important aspect of the NY primary cancellation. I focused on Bernie. But wait . . . there’s more! A lot more:

Did NY Democrats just tank Biden’s nomination?

Perhaps I should have been focusing on Cuomo instead of on Bernie:

While New York Democrats cited the inevitability of Joe Biden’s nomination for the party’s candidacy as justification for calling off the primary, it could actually make the former VP’s spot on the ticket anything but a forgone conclusion.

Although Bernie Sanders is officially out of the race, Biden does not yet have an overall majority of convention delegates. As of April 27, the former vice president has 1,305 of the 1,991 delegates needed to clinch a first-round coronation at the party’s convention. New York offered 320 delegates up for grabs, 274 pledged to the primary winner; a prize that would have brought Biden closer to the nomination.

Assuming the convention begins without a majority of delegates pledged to Biden, the nomination process, during which delegates conduct floor votes, would become a live-fire exercise, rather than a pro forma step in Biden’s coronation as nominee.

If Biden does not secure a majority on the first ballot, delegates could offer another candidate from the floor.

My advice to Biden: Don’t count your chickens!!

Isn’t that some kind of death knell on your campaign when you get endorsed by Hillary? :wink:

2 Likes

She’s happy to take his Pres spot directly if Something Happens to Biden before the candidacy is finalized too.

1 Like

I’m sure SHE is ready. Problem is, nobody else seems ready to call her. LOL

She lost to Trump once already and her time has passed. Biden already seems old school/too traditional, not to mention with a massive campaign identity issue. She’d only confirm/amplify the negative narrative. So I think she’d be a terrible VP for the democrat ticket and they should be smart enough to realize that.

I’d rank her even behind Michelle Obama -albeit for totally different reasons - in odds of being the VP pick. Just ahead of myself as a 1/100 million shot to be the VP. :wink:

2 Likes

Statistically you can expect x number of people in a given population to die of all causez combined in any given week. In several states the death rate is now running 50% above the expected average numbers, indicating coronavirus or effects resulting from the coronavirus outbreak are killing about a third of people dying in any given week.

One wonders with this Reade woman whether or not she might be trying for a book deal or something akin.

Still, there is the call in to Larry King, together with other contemporaneous happenings, her telling of friends and so forth. So who can say?

Investigating Biden I found something I did not like:

He lost his first wife and an infant daughter in a tragic traffic accident back in the early 1970’s. Both his sons were in the car, too. They were injured, but they recovered.

The family, except for Biden himself, was out on a daytime errand to purchase the family Christmas tree when the accident occurred. Biden’s wife had their infant daughter on her lap, and of course there were two very young, rambunctious boys in the car as well. She failed to stop at a stop sign and their car was struck broadside by a truck, with tragic results.

Thing is this was an accident, pure and simple. And accidents happen, regrettably far too often. The event, as you might imagine would ensue, was heavily and thoroughly investigated by law enforcement. After all, this was the family of a United States Senator, while the guy driving the truck was nobody special at all, just an average person going about his business on a public highway.

The outcome of the investigation revealed just what I already have written. No blame was assigned to the truck driver, who had the right of way and was fully competent at the time. It was, sadly but simply, just an accident . . . one with a horrible outcome.

So it was wrong, in my view, when Biden later suggested in a public speech that the driver of the truck was drunk. The man was not drunk. Period. Biden later apologized to the family of the man who drove that truck. But it was not until many years later.

Sometimes it’s a coping mechanism to try to blame others. It doesn’t excuse the attempt at getting sympathy by embellishing the story. But he sure did not have an easy path through life between that accident and the recent death of his son Beau.

The State of New York Democrat primary election has been reinstated!! A Federal judge ruled in favor of Bernie Sanders and Andrew Yang, both of whom challenged the decision to cancel the election.

This works both for and against Vice President Biden:

It mitigates in favor of him securing a first ballot victory . . . assuming he garners a substantial number of NY delegates, of course.

But this election will inevitably add to Bernie’s delegate total, enabling him more easily to move the party to the left at the convention. That is not something which necessarily works in Biden’s favor as he seeks to tack back closer to political middle ground for the general election.

1 Like

Update

The State of NY has appealed the judge’s ruling.

It appears important people in New York State REALLY do not want to hold a primary election. I suspect those people are Democrats.

The Tara Reade matter has just become a bit more sticky for Vice President Biden.

Tara is a divorcée. In her divorce papers dated early in 1996, her former husband mentions her statement to him that she was sexually harassed in Biden’s office back when she worked for him earlier in the 1990’s.

There are multiple other contemporaneous substantiations of the harassment, all verbal. This is the first written evidence so far found. The search goes on.

1 Like

“On several occasions petitioner related a problem that she was having at work regarding sexual harassment in U.S. Senator Joe Biden’s office.”

That could be for the times she complained about him making her feel uncomfortable since it says “several occasions” instead of referring to a single traumatic event. But yeah her husband calling the events something that had prolonged traumatic impact on her, supports her case.

Though I’d think that it was clear before, from previous people who testified she had talked to (brother, mom, neighbor) about it, that she was convinced that he assaulted her. If it were a fib, it’s one of the best orchestrated or self-delusions ever.

1 Like

Agreed. The only new thing here is that it was written down and became part of an historical document.

There are supposedly seven other women who were attacked by Biden. I suspect their stories will ooze out as we move closer to the election.

Tara has agreed to take a lie detector test and testify under oath about the assault by Biden . . . . .

provided Biden agrees to do the same. So far, Biden has not agreed.

Contemporaneous accounts by third parties, and now actual written support as well, are the kinds of things “me too” folks consider the gold standard for matters of this nature. Course that standard would apply against any Republican . . . it might be a different standard if you’re not a Republican.

Is a lie detector even compatible with dementia?

Tara shows no evidence of dementia.

I’m not sure. Anything that would make your memory go bad would be really easily challenged. Mental confusion about a question or recollections could be seen as deception attempts. That said, would getting a pass on polygraph test because you have dementia, really be that helpful to his ultimate cause? :wink:

All that said, I remember hearing that polygraph tests are not reliable and cannot be used as evidence in court. Or so I remember Justice Kavanaugh claim. He could not have had any reason to discredit them so it must be true…

1 Like

polygraphs are incredibly useless in all situations.

They’re primarily used to get people to confess to unrelated things because the person under “examination” is likely to incorrectly think they work.

2 Likes

The Biden campaign has been hit with release on Tuesday of a voice recording of Biden demanding a quid pro quo from a former Ukrainian leader. The voice is clear, and easily recognizable as Biden. The amount of money involved is HUGE. Biden was seeking ouster of the person investigating the company where his son, Hunter, sat on the board. Using the link, below, you can actually listen to the call yourself:

Leaked phone conversations between Joe Biden and then-Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko have been made public by a Ukrainian lawmaker.

Edited recordings of the calls were played at a news conference Tuesday in Kiev by Andriy Derkach, who has claimed he has proof showing that Burisma Holdings, the Ukrainian natural gas company that employed Biden’s son Hunter Biden, paid then-Vice President Joe Biden $900,000 in lobbying fees.

Details of the conversations between Biden and Poroshenko have been previously reported.

Derkach said he received the leaked audio from “investigative journalists” — and that the recordings were made by Poroshenko himself.

Audio of the calls with English subtitles was later posted on YouTube.

In one conversation, Biden and Poroshenko discuss the aftermath of Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin’s ouster and the appointment of his replacement.

“It’s going to be critical for him to work quickly to repair the damage that Shokin did,” Biden said in the call. “And I’m a man of my word. And now that the new prosecutor general is in place, we’re ready to move forward to signing that new $1 billion loan guarantee.”

At the time, Biden was publicly pushing for reform of the prosecutor general’s office. Last year, Biden said he told Poroshenko that Ukraine would not receive the $1 billion unless Shokin was booted.