Who will join POTUS nominee Biden on the Democrat ticket as VP?

I believe this is off topic for this thread!

I considered that. I think it’s OK. Here is why:

The piece points solely to Biden’s own personal actions . . . not at all to Trump or to a comparison of any sort. This thread is for Democrats. They deserve to hear Biden, in his own words, and to know what he said.

It’s one thing to attack Biden, giving your own negative opinion or posting another person’s negative opinion. That would be wrong here. But this was a release by a Ukrainian official of a recording of an actual Biden conversation.

Does this reflect poorly on the Vice President? Will it impact his campaign at all? That is for each person to decide for himself/herself after reviewing the evidence. I believe opinions will differ on that issue.

Klobuchar would be a good choice.

1 Like

So what’s the news here? I’ve already seen this story a few months ago. Back then one significant fact was highlighted – the President CAN hold up that loan guarantee if the foreign government is suspected of corruption, which at least appears to have been the case with Biden. The President CAN NOT hold up funds approved by congress, which was the case with Trump’s “perfect phone call.” In Biden’s case the quid pro quo was legal, in Trump’s it was not. Did I miss something?

After reading scripta’s post I went back and, once again, reviewed my post. I was annoyed with myself to discover I did express an opinion about the call, which I should not have done here. I have edited my posts accordingly.

I hope now what I posted reflects “just the facts” . . . and nothing more. If I want to express an opinion I will post on the other thread, the election thread. Do continue to believe posting of “Biden in his own words”, without commentary, is appropriate here.

1 Like

I think why it was deemed off topic is that the thread is about Biden’s choice for VP. Getting to know more about Biden is certainly useful but has no practical impact on the discussion of his choice of VP.

I mean I don’t think he can pick a VP that’ll make this disappear from the GOP campaigning attack material.

I thought so, too. That is why I changed the thread title after Biden sewed up the nomination. But thread continues to be open to Democrat intra-party news generally. Just so long as there is no criticism of them. The “I hate Biden I love Trump” posts belong on the election thread.

1 Like

Fuggetaboutid. The appeal went nowhere. There WILL be a Democrat primary election in NY State.

This is gonna mean more delegates for Bernie. I mean, consider:

AOC is a HUGE Bernie supporter and she is a New Yorker. Do you think AOC will be supporting Biden in the primary?

I seriously doubt that . . . . in fact I would be shocked.

It seems like I read someplace that Biden would choose AOC to help shape his Party Policy.

Now that would be news. Perhaps as an outreach to the Bernie wing of the party? I dunno. Far as I’m aware, AOC is not a big Biden fan.

Vice President Biden has won the Hawaii Democrat primary election.

Vice President Biden has already promised he will select a woman as his VP choice. There is increasing pressure on him presently to select a woman of color.

One name I’m seeing now, and not a person on my radar screen prior:

Susan Rice

I’m not going into her qualifications and how good or bad a choice she’d be. But I believe she was deemed ineligible as VP for the 2020 election because she won’t be 35 by Jan 21st 2021 (inauguration day).

Susan Rice is plenty eligible as far as age considerations are concerned. Still she sounds like a long shot. I thought Biden wanted someone who has run their own election campaign.

Yes, no question and beyond all doubt:

AOC will not be eligible as a POTUS or VPOTUS candidate until 2024. She is too young.

Personally, I think even if she were eligible, she’d be a bad choice. She rubs a ton of people the wrong way. Very polarizing in a way like Sarah Palin was. And she’s also very untested as first term Representative. With Biden’s age and health a factor in the election, a young untested VP doesn’t strengthen his ticket all that much in my opinion.

Now in 2024, that argument could be tested a bit more. Well unless Biden goes for re-election in which case he wouldn’t switch VPs anyway.

1 Like

I didn’t see this coming. It always annoys me when I’m unable to “connect dots” for myself. Prescience deficit:

I joined scripta up thread in the belief Amy would be a great choice for Biden’s VP. Well, in one fell swoop that is off the table, down the drain, and washed far away into the ocean. Stick a fork in Amy. She is DONE!!

The murder (and that is what it was!) of Mr. Floyd is being universally regarded as horrendous. But the slaying occurred in the State of Minnesota, and Amy has been tied in BIG TIME! I wonder if she will even be able to win reelection to her current Senate seat. Here is the writeup:

Amy’s VP aspirations are no more

I heard Biden was vetting Amy. Bet that effort was shut down PRONTO! Amy has become political toxic waste. And if she protests and attempts to defend her record, she will only sink deeper into inescapable quicksand.

1 Like

The WaPo is now asserting the tragedy in Minneapolis is increasing pressure on Vice President Biden to select a person of color as his VP:

WaPo: Biden’s VP pick needs to be a woman of color

So, as posted up thread, we can focus on

Kamala
Stacey
Susan

There are several lesser known contenders as well in the Democrat Party:

Val Demings was prominent during the impeachment and gave a good account of herself at that time.

Michelle Lujan Grisham is the Governor of New Mexico. She is a Latina, not black.

Catherine Cortez Masto is a Latina senator representing Nevada.

So that’s pretty much the VP field at this point, in terms of women of color.

Obviously it’s impossible to know in which direction the Vice President will go. But am convinced this is a critical decision for him, with the importance having increased since the senseless torture and outright murder of Mr. Floyd.

Opinion

This is only my opinion, but to me Biden needs to select a black woman. My gut says, at this point and with all that has happened, a Latina will not get the job done for him inside his own party.

ETA

Am now seeing Cortez Masto just yesterday removed herself from the running.

ETA

Wow, what a mess! Both Kamala and Val Demings have ties to law enforcement. We seem to be down to Stacey and Susan. Biden has to be consulting with President Obama on this. He would be a fool not to consider the President’s input very seriously.

Yesterday’s Democrat primary elections held more delegates than on any day since super Tuesday.

VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN won 'em all!

Biden won in Indiana, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and South Dakota. He was also victorious in Washington, DC.

This clean sweep, even though Bernie’s name remained on those ballots, is expected to give Biden a first ballot victory at the convention, or at least bring him VERY close to that goal.

Update

Vice President Biden has now secured sufficient delegates to ensure winning the Democrat nomination on the first ballot. Numbers I heard had him over the top by one or two delegates. There will be more primary elections coming up. Biden’s victory margin is certain to become larger.

Only remaining important issue now is the Vice President’s choice for VP. I am hearing nothing at all on this. It’s really quiet out there.

Val Demings on This Week right now as I write this.

Am I wrong? Is Ms. Demings still in the running for VP?

At this moment she is proclaiming herself the quintessential social worker!!

ETA

Ran across an opinion piece earlier today proclaiming Warren and Kamala were leading VP candidates. Let’s set Warren aside for now. I want to compare Val Demings and Kamala:

Val is from Florida, a state Vice President Biden desperately needs. If he wins Florida he will be our next POTUS.

Kamala is from California, a state Biden for all practical purposes already has won.

Both women are well spoken and make a nice appearance on TV. Val is black. Kamala is sort of black, being of Jamaican and Indian heritage.

Both women are SOLID Democrats. Perhaps you could argue Kamala is the more prominent because she serves in the United States Senate whereas Val is a member of the House. But Val’s strong showing during the impeachment, as a House Manager, vaulted her to national prominence.

Interestingly, both women have a law enforcement background. I initially was seeing that as a negative, given the current political climate. But as time passes and things cool down a bit, perhaps Biden would actually benefit by having a VP with that connection. It would attract and reassure some whites, while persons of color might be willing to live with it given their other option.

As for Elizabeth Warren, of Massachusetts, I’m really not seeing her as a likely choice by the Vice President. Warren is not a person of color, and Biden already has Massachusetts sewn up.