Who will join POTUS nominee Biden on the Democrat ticket as VP?

Apparently I’m the only one around here focused on this. But I am . . . so there! :smiley:

Anyway, that last post was eleven days ago. Biden has been quiet as the proverbial church mouse regarding his VP pick. You see Warren discussed a lot. Don’t think she is viable myself, but who knows.

Will we learn Biden’s choice before Independence Day?

Stay tuned.

Nothing is happening – no point in talking about nothing.

You must be new here.

4 Likes

One less good candidate in the running.

1 Like

Please refer to xerty’s post, above. Our girl Amy is gone. We agreed, way back, she was Biden’s strongest candidate. Now she has removed herself from contention. And she has further placed upon Biden her public opinion that he not choose Senator Warren!!

We live in interesting times.

Michelle’s stock and pressure increasing after that I bet.

Agreed. I forgot about Michelle. But I should not have forgotten her.

If Biden somehow is able to snag Michelle as his VP, well, that would be a FORMIDABLE ticket!

Michelle simply blows away all other VP possibilities.

You’d be forgiven to have put her aside but the recent events may have changed her perspective on how much more she could accomplish as VP.

She’s still a very long shot since I haven’t read anything indicating that she may have changed her mind on the subject. Still the narrower the field of potential VPs, the more pressure on the remaining ones I’d imagine.

1 Like

Very important point. Agree totally. If there is “stuff” going on, we would not know until they want us to know. A Michelle VP candidacy would captivate the news cycle for at least several days . . . . probably longer.

President Obama will be joining Vice President Biden today. The two friends will be conducting an important fundraiser together. In deference to the pandemic, this event will take place online.

Election news emerging this morning out of NYC is pointing to an AOC victory in her primary election battle. AOC raised over ten million dollars to fund her campaign, vastly more than her challenger.

AOC will not be eligible for a POTUS or VPOTUS run until 2024. She is today too young.

Quite a surprise for me this morning. The Democrats have decided not to convene en masse in Milwaukee. They are providing, instead, for delegates to be able to vote from remote locations. I did not see this one coming, and I have more to say about this over on the election thread where my remarks will be appropriate.

AOC represents where I came from .The Woodside/Corona/Elmhurst neighborhood in Queens . Moved upstate NY 22 years ago… Could not be happier. That is the must disgusting/dirty/vermin infested area among many in NYC, and still is. garbage in the streets and the electorate is 80% non English speaking and mostly illiterate. That is why she wins. She and her other ultra liberals give away everything for free. That is the bottom line. I walked through the neighborhood 3 months ago to visit my old apt blg. its totally disgusting. Plus 90% unemployment and almost 100% of folks there on the public dole. Schools are terrible…except when I went there and fresh fish and groceries are sold on street without ice or refrigeration. Also when I lived there, the bodega owner (no big food chains will go there) had to pick up their own milk gallons and quarts and other dairy stuff in their broken down un refrigerated cars on the hottest days. And she lived and went to school in upscale Westchester NY but pretends to be from the bronx. Lived in a big raised ranch house and went to school in westchester too. Great scam going to get the 174k salary. Also the highest Covid 19 cases in NYState. She did nothing and stayed in her upscale Wash DC apt. Her constituents only vote for her so as to get all the freebies.

2 Likes

Interesting information on AOC. I’m not surprised, she is so disgusting along with her cronies.

Now wish all this info could get some publicity. Of course the media does not grab this. Thanks! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t know the area but I’ll take your word for it. But in areas like this, it’s not surprising that this kind of policy platform would resonate.

A bit like it did in Venezuela for example when Chavez took power. All the poor were promised free handouts and voted en masse for him understandably. It works well until the money ran out which it always does with unsustainable entitlement policies.

It’ll be interesting to see if the money for her welfare state wreck train runs out before she’s eligible for VP in 4 years. Either way, the status of her district is definitely going to be scrutinized at that point even more than it currently is if the stakes are raised.

2 Likes

Remember when AOC forced Amazon out? They relocated & NY lost hundred of good paying jobs. No mention of this anymore. Pelosi & liberal dems love AOC & follow her to the gates of -----.

2 Likes

It was supposedly 25,000 jobs at a cost of $3 billion in lost revenue (tax incentives) to the state and city. Don’t make Amazon look like some saint that was giving out free gifts. Also it wasn’t AOC alone, it was a whole bunch of politicians and other local groups and residents who opposed Amazon. They plan to open offices in NYC anyway, 1500 employees, and no incentives according to what I’ve read.

1 Like

The local story I heard was that the NYC unions wanted to get the Amazon employees allowed to be unionized there and they got their politician in a senior position in the NYC-AMZN negotiations and when the deal was conditioned on that and Amazon wasn’t going to go for a union, they walked.

2 Likes

That’s always misleading. That $3B isnt being collected now, it’s what was projected to be generated from Amazon’s investments under existing tax laws. So it wouldn’t have cost anything, the city/state just wouldnt have gained that extra revenue for a few years.

Some of it is in the form of tax credits, but some is cash grants – read me. But you could only say that the foregone tax revenue is not being collected now if you assume that it’ll be brand new 25,000 employees from somewhere else, currently not living in NY and not paying those taxes. The reality is that most likely the majority of those employees are already living in the area and paying the tax, so at least part, if not most, of that money is being collected now. And more importantly they would continue to be collected if Amazon was not awarded those incentive. Last I checked, the unemployment rate for people making > $150K (required for the grants) is lower than the general unemployment rate (it’s lowest for computer-related professions and for people with advanced degrees), so you can’t really argue that Amazon would be creating new jobs. They’d most likely be taking people away from existing jobs.

ETA: I may be describing the tax situation incorrectly as it’s not the employees paying the tax. It’s a tax credit to the company from the state/city. I’m guessing it can be used to offset whatever taxes the company would owe to the state/city, like the employer portion of any state/local taxes or maybe sales tax collected from all in-state transactions unrelated to employment. Or maybe it would offset any corporate income taxes owed, but they already shuffle their income to make it hard to tax, so that’s not likely. But my point stands, the state would most likely be giving up existing tax revenue.

1 Like