Alliant Credit Union

LOL, this is the correct answer!

1 Like

LOL…exactly… :laughing:

With Marcus…when you transfer into them it’s one day ach but they do put a couple of days hold on the funds… However, your interest starts as soon as you set up the ach transfer…

Outbound it’s also 1 day and often if you schedule before noon or so, and the bank you are sending it to accepts same day transfers, it will arrive by around 5 pm or so on the same day…

When i transfer from my Marcus account to Citi Checking it arrives by 5-6 pm that same day… :slightly_smiling_face:

Alliant’s been getting a bit annoying lately…like when they dropped the points value on the Platinum Rewards Card…they were forced to reverse that when they received a lot of complaints…
Also i have been reading about them kicking out customers…they haven’t bothered me so far but one never knows…

I also get Thank You Points at Citi and just opened up a Citi Wealth Builder Investment Account…
So have my day to day…main credit card AND investments all in one place…Marcus is much better on Savings rate so naturally i’d rather keep that there…

Citi also has a new credit card that gets 5% on your biggest spend category…i plan to product change to it with my double cash as soon as that is available…

2 Likes

Update

For reasons unknown to me, my checking account interest rate has been corrected upward, back up to 0.25% APY. I did not contact Alliant. Maybe they just had a temporary glitch.

Also noted in passing:

Alliant Visa Signature statements closed yesterday, the 13th. That’s not at all unprecedented. But statement closure on the 14th happens more often. Anyway, I picked up $250 in rewards so no complaints from me. :wink:

Correct - more months have 31 days, thus more months cycle the statement on the 14th. One less day in the month, and the statement cycles one day earlier.

I disputed the $99 annual fee charged to the credit card, and unfortunately they seemed to have handled the dispute within the regulatory parameters. With the card balance at zero, it was immediately removed from my online profile.

But I can still login to my profile, and my savings account continues to sit there with it’s $9 available balance. With a large CD maturing towards the end of the month, I’m tempted to try using Alliant as part of my plan to move the funds to it’s new home.

When Alliant Closed my account they flat out mailed me a check for the balance remaining in it. No discussion, no nothing.
Like I said earlier, the Agent needed no reason. CRAZY!

I wonder why each account is handled differently?

I’m still curious why you would switch to accounts that are not as good and do not pay as much interest.

To repeat:

Alliant Savings 0.55% Marcus 0.50%
Alliant Checking 0.25% Citibank 0.05%

Alliant Visa 2.5 % cashback (requires $1000 average balance in checking account)
Citibank 2% Cash back.

Why it is better to get less interest and less cash back?

1 Like

Well i have the Platinum Rewards with Alliant which is 2% cashback just like the Citi Double Cash…

While i don’t get much interest on the Citi Checking because i have the relationship package (they count my investments as well as banking products) i earn $80 in Thank You Points each year…which is much more then i would earn on the Alliant Checking with and average balance of about $7500 which is what i keep…

So i get MORE cashback with the Citi set up…And at Marcus i am earning the AARP bonus they offered on the Marcus Savings so i am actually getting .60% :slightly_smiling_face:

And when i can product change my Citi Double Cash to the new Citi Custom Cash which will get me 5% cashback on my Groceries which i spend about $400.00 a month on…so will get FAR more cash back then on the Platinum Rewards card…

Ok, thanks for explaining that. It would have been helpful to mention that in the first place. I checked the AARP bonus for Marcus. It’s just for the first 24 months, which is still good. How long have you had it?

The difference in interest on checking between Alliant and Citibank is still very large,

As regards groceries, you can get 6% cashback from Amex Preferred up to $6K spend annually.

That’s interesting. I belong to AARP, but usually don’t keep up on some of those bonus products.
So the .60% on savings at Marcus does beat Alliant .55%.

Good reasoning!

I think i have had the AARP Marcus Bonus for maybe 6 months or so…

As far as Amex Preferred, after you take off for the $95 annual fee you really only end up with 4% Cashback return on the Grocery Purchases so the new Citi Card with no annual fee beats it…and both cards have the same 6K spend annually limit…

A) The Marcus Bonus is just for 24 months.

B) The tremendous bonuses of Amex Preferred negate the fee so you earn a real 6%.

First year 0 fee, so a real 6%.
$150 bonus for $3000 spending in 6 months. (So right there 2 1/2 years of fees is paid.)
0% APR on purchases for 12 months.
20% off Amazon for 6 months up to $200 cash back.

For you it’s a good deal, argyll but i would only be able to get that card through an upgrade from my Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card… I have too many inquiries on the bureaus right now and no one is going to give me a new card for at least 2 years when most of the inquiries will drop off…

On an Upgrade you get NONE of those bonuses…

I even tried to get the new Citi Card and was turned down for just that reason…which is why i have to wait until i can upgrade my Double Cash…

4 Likes

“To each his own”.

I realize you’re a smart dude with money ideas but sometimes you can get on a person’s nerves when you keep on persistently with your point.

Give us a break!

1 Like

That’s a different situation then. There is a penalty for moving from card to card a lot.

Although… Amex has offered me bonuses to upgrade.

@craig10x if you already have an Amex card, go ahead and apply as you have nothing to lose. They don’t hard pull current customers for applying for a new card.

Already have two cards with Amex…the Everyday and a Business Cash Card…don’t think i’d want a third card…

Also a nice part of the new Citi Card is if i can get it on an upgrade, i can combine the card account with my banking thank you points account…

Right now i only get full value on the banking thank you points is if i redeem for gift cards…only half value for cash…but the new Citi card gets FULL VALUE when cashing the points so then ALL my Thank You points would get the full value on cash out…(Citi lets you combine thank you accounts)…

so, that’s a big plus :grinning:

If I could ask… how many are too many? Just trying to get a reference point before applying for more cards myself.

On Experian (the most frequently pulled bureau): 25
On Transunion (the next most pulled): 15
On Equifax the least pulled bureau) only about 5 (but very few pull from them)

4 Likes

Thanks for the info.