Alliant Credit Union

That’s simply not true if you had one of their credit cards. The main issue is the cost of making a case over it - without arbitration to streamline the process, most lawyers dont see the potential up-side to be worth taking it on contingency, while a standard retainer will easily exceed what you stand to gain. Alliant is clearly in the wrong here (for everyone they’ve closed), but everyone it’s happened to is too cheap to purse a case just for the principle of the matter.

I dont think my case was handled differently than yours, I think I had a $99 outstanding balance on the card so they couldnt close out my membership at the time. This either protected my membership from an automated process, or they forgot/are still getting around to finalizing my ouster now that the card is zeroed out.

Not that I have any hope my membership will ultimately survive, and I certainly dont trust them to continue using the account even if it does. But there is a specific moment of convenience coming up that I may try to use; I’m just hesitant of the risk that the savings account will be closed at the time $25k+ is moving through it.

I know…i can hardly believe it myself…so no more new cards for me for a long time to come…
I’ll be happy with the Citi Custom Cash and my Max Rewards Card…will rack up plenty of cash back :grinning:

Changes to Alliant card coming(courtesy of DoC):

Alliant is making some changes to the Cashback Visa Signature card who opened their account on or before July 13, 2021. These changes will go into effect for the July billing cycle.

• Removal of $99 annual fee
  • Introduction of tiered earning system.
    • Tier One earns 2.5% cash back on up to $10,000 in spend per month, and 1.5% cash back after that
    • Tier Two earns 1.5% cash back on everything
  • To qualify for Tier One rewards, you’ll need to open an Alliant High-Rate checking account and:
    • Have an average daily balance of $1,000
    • Have at least one deposit each month
    • Opt-in to e-statements
  • Rewards tier eligibility is determined on a quarterly basis
8 Likes

Thank you, zzz, for posting this important stuff.

OK, way I see it I save $99/year but it costs me about ten or twenty bucks/year in lost interest on the checking account money.

This strikes me as a “win”. :laughing:

3 Likes

Is Alliant not your main checking account? After your exchange with Craig10x above I just assumed you used them for everyday checking (in which case a .01 monthly deposit seems strange).

This is the kind of card that would be good for my father or someone that wants to max out value without sacrificing simplicity… but for me, I eek out a bit more value in the Chase ecosystem. My grandfathered Priceline card is also good for 3.3% back on credits for travel. So I will likely remain on the sidelines with respect to Alliant credit cards.

2 Likes

I have their Platinum Rewards Card…i wonder if they do product changes…if they do, i think i’d switch mine over…starting to feel a bit better about Alliant…this is a nice move on their part…

2 Likes

I do the reverse - I still keep the money in the savings account, but use the checking as the catch all account for deposits and withdrawals. I make a couple transfers a month from checking to savings, on or around payday, that represents the “surplus” funds I have after paying my bills. I don’t like flirting with the six withdrawal limit.

On a related note - funneling my paychecks through ONE has been working out great. I get the money a couple days early, 10% of it goes into their 3% APY account, then I use Alliant/Fidelity to ACH the money over to the respective account. I also maxed out the 1% APY account which is nice. The thing I like about it is that I get a reasonably high yield without the stupid debit card requirements.

2 Likes

How did you even find so many? There aren’t that many good signup bonus cards, especially once you exclude Chase.

1 Like

Lots of them were tries for a new card that didn’t get approved…so a lot of wasted pulls i would day…

By the way, i was on the phone today with Alliant for quite some time…they do product changes but the catch is that you have to have a minimum of $10,000 on your Platinum Rewards Card card to do it and i only have $7500… They put in an application for a credit line increase to $10,000 but it got denied…so that takes care of that…

I’ll stick with my Citi set up and look forward to product changing my Double Cash to that new 5% Citi Card…

So is there a strategy to this madness? You’ve put yourself in a situation that will stop you from getting more credit for a while. Was it worthwhile?

It wasn’t…i will just have to give it a year or two until all the inquiries clear out on the bureaus…it’s a good thing i have a number of really good open credit cards with very decent credit lines…

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the product change; very useful! Other notes in addition to the minimum $10k credit line are that you should redeem current credit rewards before converting (because you will lose any remaining once converted) and the CSR took my number to call me back once he spoke with the “plastics team” to initiate the conversion. Reportedly, there is no need to open the checking account at the time of conversion, so I think it just needs to be done in July.

1 Like

so when can I product change to the Cashback Visa Signature without getting charged the fee?

You already can change over without an annual fee…it was eliminated this month…but your current card must have a credit line of at least $10,000…otherwise they won’t let you do it…

3 Likes

Alliant just implemented a 24 (or 25) limit on external accounts (down from unlimited) to prevent fraud. If you’re like me you have a bunch of external accounts so this is a huge drawback. One of the main reasons I use Alliant is the fast ACHs and no limit on number of external accounts. There was zero communication about this that I’m aware of, a notification would have been appreciated at the very least.

Please call in and file a compliant as I have to see if they can reverse this restriction. If we get enough traction perhaps we can make a change. I believe the fraud issue can be solved using other methods.

Never really liked the new website design also. I used to be able to CTRL-F and find the external account I want when making a transfer, but now I have to scroll through all my accounts. It’s even caused me to transfer to the wrong account once or twice.

1 Like

I have 30 external accounts linked at Alliant. I just went through the process to add 31 without issue. Where are you seeing this being limited for you?

1 Like

It’s on the form where you enter the routing / account number. If could be that the rep gave incorrect information about the max number of accounts. So the actual number might be somewhere between 31 < n < 81.

That, or “for your security/safety” is the reason for everything in the world … except mattress sales. :smile:

They just charged me the $99 a month or two ago. Does anyone know if they will refund it?

1 Like

I have 41 external accounts. Just attempted to add a new account and got squished like a bug.

It is becoming tougher and tougher to do business at Alliant.