Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

I called this morning. Long wait, as probably many are checking. While waiting I read back over instructions on the HIMMA accts & it is a variable. So the rate can change, & IT DID.

Before any of us ever opened a HIMMA Plus account we were confronted by the following within the account description terms and condiditon:

• Rates are variable and subject to change daily.

This means the HIMMA Plus interest rate can change at any time. It means if you apply today you will receive today’s interest rate for six months, but if you wait and apply tomorrow you might not receive that same high rate.

However, whenever you apply your APY should be locked for six months at the rate in effect on the day your account is opened.

I made a hand note on the bottom of that Keesler HIMMA printout. $100 bonus at the end of the month of the promotional period. (does anyone else remember this?)

No, that’s just wishful thinking. Rates are variable for new and existing accounts, unless specified otherwise. You yourself even stated that it was a bonus 1% on the variable rate, and not a 6-month rate lock.

Nope. A poster over on Ken’s site telephoned Keesler and was told exactly what I posted.

I just got an email today that CIBC is down to .62%.

Received the $700 bonus on Tuesday so just a bit over 60 days after all requirements were met. Overall that went relatively smoothly. No trouble closing the checking account and keeping the citi accelerate savings account alone with no monthly minimum.

3 Likes

Great news!! I got mine also, $700 x2. I signed my husband up at same time. :relaxed:

For some reason I was not able to get the Citi Accelerate Savings. I had the regular savings that I kept $10 in for the whole time. Probably close the whole thing out now & move funds over to Keesler HIMMA 1.45%.

Thanks Shandril… I appreciate your lead in getting me started on the Citi bonus deal.

Got any more ideas? Where are you putting the big chunk?

1 Like

Gotta tip my cap to both of you girls. YOU DID GOOD!! And you two also have moxie . . . . a whole lot more than I have.

When you’re wrong, you’re wrong. I didn’t have the cajones to play with Citi . . . was afraid they could knock me around plenty if I messed up even a little . . . and maybe even if I didn’t mess up at all!

You girls took that risk, or perhaps it was only an imaginary risk, and it paid off for both of you handsomely. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Both of you are winners, and I LIKE winners!

We did not have $100k available yet actually so DH is going for it this time around since the offer is still available until 5th of January 2021.

The Citi accelerate savings is only available for customers who live in a state where Citi does not have physical branches so that may be why it was not an option for you in CA.

1 Like

Offer is still available. You have to carefully look at the terms but nothing too difficult to follow. They clearly count the 60 days from the day your accounts hit the $50k level, then you have to leave it for about another 60 days until they pay the bonus.

All told, for minimal work, this yielded $738 for $50k held for 4 months which comes out to be 4.4% APY so that was definitely worth doing compared to the crumbs they give us on other liquid saving accounts. That’s why we’re doing a second round right away. I’ll have to figure out if there’s a way to churn this if they keep the offer year round.

1 Like

Thank you, Shandril. Your post helped me discover yet another reason I’m not in the Citi deal. I simply do not have that kind of money to tie up for four months. My liquid money right now is pretty darn tight.

Was it difficult to close the account and transfer your money after the 120+ days?

I’m in the process of doing that right now.

I sent an ACH transfer through Alliant CU today. I should see my money in my Alliant CU Monday.

After talking to a Citi agent today, I was told to call when I see 0 balance. Then the agent will close the acct.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Pattyb53.

Like Patty said, it was relatively easy. I had closed the Savings account right after meeting the 60 day requirements (and move the money onto Citi Accelerate Savings (CAS) to avoid the monthly fee while I was waiting for my bonus to post).

Then I just ACH transferred to my usual Savings account the amount I needed to get $50k together for DH’s round and left the rest on my CAS account (only 0.7% APY right now but could be worse). It took 3 days for money to get there but then I just called them to close the Priority Checking and it was all done in 5 min.

1 Like

If like us you have some 5% Penfed CDs maturing in January though, you could play. You have 30 days from date of account opening to get the $50k over. And honestly, it looks like a year-round offering currently. When offer expires, they just extend it.

As far as churnability, this seems to be the only limitation:
“Checking Offer Eligible Customers” are New-to-Citibank Checking Customers. “New-to-Citibank Checking Customers” have not been a signer on a Citibank checking account within the past 180 days.

So you should be able to keep a CAS account and be eligible 6 months after closing the previous Priority Checking account. I’ve already set my calendar reminder for May 2021 ;).

2 Likes

That’s more good news. I didn’t realize we could do this Citi deal again. Reminder for 5/2021.

1 Like

Shandril & pattyb53, congratulations on getting the bonuses.

To get the $700 bonus, I assume you opened the Citi Priority package? To waive the monthly fees, you need to have $50,000. Does money in the Citi Accelerate Savings count towards the $50k?

Thank you.

Yes $50k in Citi Accelerate Savings allows you to waive the monthly fee.

BUT the terms of the deal is that you need to keep the Citi Savings account open for 60 days past the time at which you reach $50k in initial deposits (as part of the Citi Priority package). So I endured the crappy 0.1% APY for the 60 days after depositing $50k, then closed the Citi Savings account and replaced it with a new Citi Accelerate Savings as I waited for them to deposit the $700 bonus (took another 60 days or so).

One caveat is that the terms allow them to close an account that has a $0 balance after 90 days of inactivity. So be careful not to leave the Citi Priority Checking at exactly 0 or they "could" close it thus forfeiting you the bonus (not sure they would but I left a few in the Checking account just to be sure).