Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

I haven’t opened it yet. I don;t see any reason why it being a checking account should prevent you from parking money there long time.

This post comes in the wake of a telephone conversation I had today with a single Keesler representative. Please bear that in mind as you go forward here.

My inquiry was regarding HIMMA Plus and, specifically, how interest rate is arrived at for this liquid account. I was more confused than usual because the Keesler rate page appears to tie interest rate to the amount of your opening deposit.

Link to Keesler rate page

Note there the words “Opening Balance” top left of the HIMMA Plus rate chart.

But the representative told me the interest rate you will earn on your HIMMA Plus funds varies, not with the opening balance, but instead with the current balance in you account.

As always, a single representative at any financial institution can certainly be misinformed and be dispensing bad information. And I spoke with only a single person. So again, please bear that in mind.

1 Like

I had the same conversation with a rep the last time I re-opened my HIMMA+. My question was about keeping new funds in Savings until I had the $100K to gain the higher rate. She said, open the HIMMA+ now with the $25K & the rate will change as I add to it. So that’s what I did.

By the end of the month, the total $100K was in HIMMA+ & I rightly received the higher rate.

3 Likes

Throw away account…
I received a letter from Ally Bank re: software bug exposed usernames and passwords of several Ally clients.
Did any of you receive a similar letter?

As of 20210621_071500GMT, I’ve received nothing from Ally regarding the security of my accounts there.

ETA - I currently have 6 accounts there … on there way to 2.

I assume you are referring to a snail mail, USPS, letter.

I have only a very minor banking relationship with Ally, mostly dormant. I have, so far, received no such letter.

I also received a letter dated June 11 from Ally Bank re: software bug since April 12 on exposed username and password to third parties. Ally also offers free Equifax Complete Premier product for 24 months. This makes me very nervous since I have multiple large CDs with them. Should I accept the Equifax offer?

1 Like

Not meaning to jump down a rabbit hole, but what products/services do you use with Ally?

In my case (two accounts):
Each have savings,checking, and matured CDs. One of my accounts also uses their bill pay service. However, I do not use e-billing. Also, neither have external accounts linked.

I have savings and CDs. But Ally is my hub and I have over 18 external accounts linked.

I got the same. I think it’s just a generic “we couldn’t verify your identity error”. Anyone that was able to get around this, please let us know.

That leads me to believe the software bug may have been associated with “linked accounts” service. This presumes that Ally really did not send me a notice … as opposed to the USPS losing my notice.

As for

I wouldn’t. Instead, I would

1. lock/freeze my credit at all 3/4 CRAs.
  2. If you used the same login credentials at other locations, change them immediately, and stop sharing credentials at different sites.
  3. Ask Ally for the cash equivalent of 2 years of credit monitoring, and be willing to settle for less.

Does this ever work? Seems like it’d be hard just to figure out how/where to even make such a request. I’d think that initiating an arbitration or small claims case would be necessary to get any movement on a cash settlement.

How would the linked accounts service leak usernames/passwords? If to blame, wouldnt it just leak account numbers?

There is some info in Reddit. It affected folks with their brokerage account product. The same login/password access brokerage and regular banking accounts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/o3sy5g/if_you_have_a_brokerage_account_with_ally_invest/

2 Likes

I posted over on the CD thread about a Blue FCU small money CD deal. If you have become a Blue member:

They also have an interesting savings account deal:

The 5% interest rate on balances up to $1000 is not new.

However, at this time Blue is paying 1.34% APY on savings balances between $1000 and $5000 . . . . and that is new. Blue members might want to check this out:

Blue FCU savings account interest rates

Above $5000 the interest rate is less, as you can see.

Blue FCU membership is an adventure. You never know what special deal they will offer next. And membership in Blue FCU is open to all.

2 Likes

If you can get in! I’ve been denied numerous times. I think they pull Chex.

2 Likes

Good post, zzz. I was unaware of the Chex drawback. Hope it does not hurt too many participants here. For me it could be a kill shot. Pretty sure Chex is what deep sixed my chances at Hanscom. They spat me out like sour milk.

Come to think of it, both Hanscom and Blue are associated with Air Force bases. Just sayin’.

Progress report only; not a final report

On my way at Keesler; so far so good. I honestly have no clue, none whatsoever, whether or not I’ll be able to pull this off a second time. For sure I would understand if they have, by now, put a stop to this.

Sure, back six months ago this was something rather new. It’s not new any longer. This, if I’m successful, will be my third HIMMA Plus go-round.

I executed an Alliant ACH order last Friday to clean out my HIMMA Plus account today, Monday, all except for one dollar. This morning I telephoned Keesler and requested to close my HIMMA Plus with all proceeds, to include both principal and interest, to be moved into my Keesler Primary Share. This worked and the HIMMA Plus has disappeared completely from my account list. No trace remains.

Also last Friday I ACHed sufficient funds into my Keesler Primary Share to allow opening of a brand new, pristine, HIMMA Plus. Plan is to telephone them tomorrow and request to open this account. Exactly how this request will be received I do not know.

But the “tell” will come Thursday when I’ll be able to see the interest rate on the new HIMMA Plus account for the month of June . . . . assuming I can open the account at all.

Keesler is good about closing accounts as I did. They paid me all accrued interest for June along with my one dollar. So no complaints there.

Now if only I can once again get yet another HIMMA Plus open from scratch. It’ll be my third bite of that juicy high interest rate apple, and I’ll have no liquid funds worries for another six months.

We shall see.

1 Like

We’re kind on the same boat. My HIMMA+ will expire 7/5. So I’m anxiously awaiting to hear how your experience goes.

I don’t quite understand, the part of withdrawal of everything except $1.00. So I’m going to wait for the next episode.

Didn’t want to risk automatic closure of the account by withdrawing everything via ACH. Wanted, instead, to do closure “manually”, with assistance from a representative, so I could be certain of collecting my accrued interest for June. By leaving $1 in the account I knew it would, for certain, remain open until I was ready to close it.

So far so good.

Was able today to open a new HIMMA Plus account using the funds I had deposited into my Primary Share yesterday via ACH. My new account shows a start date of 29 June, which is good. Interest rate?

I hope Thursday, first of July, to have a solid readout on interest rate for the new account . . . . with any luck.

On background:

Keesler members are permitted only a single HIMMA Plus account per membership. Hence interestingly my new account bears the same MICR account number as the one I closed yesterday. This surely facilitates sending of funds quickly into the new account via ACH, as both the MICR account number and (obviously) the ABA routing number are the same as before . . . . . . so no need for trial deposits.

1 Like