Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

Yes only allowing 1 HIMMA Plus account puts a damper here. However, in my case, I opened a second account for my spouse.

Short years ago some of us opened high yield CD’s. Some maturity dates are happening now.
Problems, of where to place those $$’s today?

Some, many of you going to the Stock Market. Probably good decision!

1 Like

It’s Thursday. They gave me the higher HIMMA Plus APY on my new account for those last two days of June.

While I take nothing for granted, at this time all signs point to a successful SECOND renewal of HIMMA Plus. I have zero evidence to the contrary. I already documented, up thread and in detail, the moves I made to get here. Full disclosure follows:

This outcome leaves me in a contented state of confusion. I don’t understand the thinking at Keesler. They send clear signals that HIMMA Plus is intended to be six months (of the high APY) and done. Then they turn around and make it straightforward for members, such as myself for example, to re-up the account and retain thereby the higher APY . . . . . something I’ve now pulled off twice.

Will it continue to be possible to renew HIMMA Plus accounts? I have no clue but I certainly do not take this for granted. It’ll be the end of the year before I am forced to revisit this matter. Interest rates for liquid money remain generally low, in particular among uncapped accounts. I am grateful to have a HIMMA Plus account and hesitant to look this gift horse in the mouth.

1 Like

I think the average customer would find this anything but “straightforward”. It’s no different than a credit card promotion period (ie, 5% cashback for the first 3 months), where it’s super-easy to close your account and open a new one with a new promo period, but most do not even realize it’s a possibility.

And I assume those doing it are relatively high-balance members treating the account more like a CD, making the renewal hassle worthwhile for both parties. They just want to keep an “out” every 6 months, just in case.

I also guess the number of people doing this (closing and re-opening the HIMMA Plus) is small and under the radar. There will be a crack down if this gets big.

[quote=“glitch99, post:2646, topic:2349”]
where it’s super-easy to close your account and open a new one with a new promo period, but most do not even realize it’s a possibility.
/quote]
Super-easy, not so quick. I’m in the process right now of closing a HIMMA Plus account.

It’s easy to transfer full amount of funds from HIMMA to Savings. Now today I’m transferring those $$’s to TIAA Bank. Tomorrow’s the problem.

Friday, check to see if funds arrived in TIAA. (got to transfer funds back to Keesler)

Finally when all NEW money is in Keesler Savings, call to open a HIMMA Plus account.

So easy!!

2 Likes

I definitely agree with this thinking. However, I’m always suspicious of easy money.

I did mine a few days early in order to get the new account open before first of July . . . . because of concern the HIMMA Plus account type might go away on 1 July. But nota bene:

I was completely full of prunes.

No such thing eventuated. HIMMA Plus remains available today for anyone able to gain Keesler membership.

But I don’t learn such lessons effortlessly. Now my concern has shifted to 2022 . . specifically . . will they sustain this liquid money lollipop after first of next year? So I will be making my next HIMMA Plus re-up attempt before New Year’s Day. And I totally agree that, by then, it might fail.

HIMMA Plus is a liquid money drama with a new act every six months. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did post that Blue FCU liquid money savings account with a far higher APY than HIMMA Plus offers. But the Blue account is capped. I also have the DCU liquid money savings paying 6.17% APY . . . . but only on the first thousand bucks!

Heck, the uncapped feature of HIMMA Plus is at least as important as the other features of the account!

Ya got moxie, pattyb53, doing your re-up right in front of (what is in effect) a three day holiday weekend. Another reason I did mine this week was because I wanted a five (business) day week on chance something might go wrong. Nothing did go wrong. But I wanted the cushion just in case. Holidays can be unwelcome when you’re trying to rearrange money. :wink:

I actually forgot about the 4th of July. Anything I can accomplish on Friday will not help much. Even though I probably can get the transfer going, it won’t show up until Tuesday at Keesler.

What a bummer!

shinobi, I was just wondering why you figured out how to get by the long weekend. Are you a financial genius?

I thought I was pretty moxie about staying ahead and planning for future money moves. But you get the prize.

And to think, I could have completed my project last week. I’d be sitting here contemplating “how smart”, instead “how dumb”.

Live & learn!!

Thanks. I actually did post a reminder, I think on the CD thread which I know you read, about the impending Independence Day, on Sunday, effectively creating a three day holiday weekend . . . . and to watch out. Three day weekends are the worst.

ETA

Yes, here is a link to the post from back middle of June:

Linky

Honkinggoose liked the post. Maybe he is the only one who read it!! :laughing:

Be careful, pattyb53. If you withdraw funds, for example via ACH, on Friday you will lose four days of interest because of the holiday. Even if the funds are currently earning only a small rate of interest, that is still more than zero. You have to figure whether one extra day at 1.5% APY will overcome three extra days of loss where the funds will be on Friday.

1 Like

Yes I did check back, you reminded us about the 4 day holiday. Unfortunately I was in the mode of my HIMMA expiration date on 7/5.

So I was thinking of getting the %interest first before closing account. Now I realize like you, I didn’t really have to wait.

Anyway working with these HIMMA Plus accounts for the 6 month period is different.

Sure hope they stick around for long periods of time. Certainly until higher % interest pick up.

1 Like

I only just mentioned the DCU 6.17% APY liquid funds savings account several posts up thread. Now this, something of which I was unaware prior:

If you have young kids, read this:

Kids are royalty at DCU. The more kids you have, the more your family can make.

If you have a Purepoint account, maybe transfer the funds there using their system assuming they still show the funds in your account and pay interest as soon as you hit the transfer button. I haven’t used them for awhile since their interest rate is lower than Alliant but used to have some nice long weekends of double interest in the past.

1 Like

Thanks zzz. I do have a PurePoint account. They put a hold of 4 days on funds transferred into PurePoint. If their % interest is lower than Alliant, I’ll hold off for now.

This offering is dead. Unknown is how much longer Paramount will honor the higher interest rate for existing, grandfathered accounts. Also unknown:

Will the Paramount savings account interest rate go down?

2 Likes

Existing Paramount checking accounts are grandfathered at 0.55% vs the 0.3% for new accounts. I was using it for a while before moving the money to Marcus.

last month opened 3 Key Bank Easy Checking accts (2 sons and myself) 200.00 bonus for DD 500.00. Wells Fargo works as DD. And I use the funds for bill pays and transferring to HMBradley. No rule you need to keep the 500 in the acct. I just got all the accts to about 135.00. Wait 90 day for bonus. great interest rate. Did same with Citizens Bank for 300.00 bonus. Their 400.00 bonus entails 50 debit card xactions. Not worth it.

1 Like

Do you have a link or more info on this keybank offer?

HMBradley going to invite only: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/consumer-fintech-hmbradley-switches-invite-150900218.html

It seems that they grew too fast and they need additional partner banks to handle the influx of cash they are receiving.

2 Likes

easy to find. Just Google Key bank 200 offer. Not all states. Im in NYState.