Vio Bank MM was 3.62% now 4.01%
Popular Direct Savings was 3.56% now 4.01%
Synchrony Bank Savings was 3.25% now 3.50%
USAlliance Financial Savings was 3.00% now 3.25%
Capital One Savings was 3.00% now 3.30%
Vio Bank Savings was 1.00% now 1.10%

9 Likes

Merchant’s Bank MM was 3.82% now 4.08%
My eBanc MM was 2.48% now 2.99%(balances 100k and below)
My eBanc MM was 3.67% now 4.18%(balances above 100k)

5 Likes

4-week T-Bill 3.711% → 3.844% (APY = 3.912%)
Wealthfront 3.30% → 3.80% starting tomorrow.

4 Likes

Here’s a good explanation of how to buy tbills from your account at Fidelity, Vanguard, and some other brokers

1 Like

Here is an interesting post on how to compute the equivalent APY of a T-Bill. See the last post in this thread for the formula:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6740851

(It is a little bit higher than the “Investment” rate provided by TD)
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/auctions/announcements-data-results/

The “investment rate” is the same as APR. The APY is always higher than APR when interest is paid more often than annually. For accounts that pay interest frequently, the higher the APR, the higher the spread between APR and APY. In case of 4-week T-Bills, the interest is paid every 28 days, so APY = (1+APR/(365/28))^(365/28)-1.

The APY for the 3.844% T-Bill is 3.912% based on my calculations, though I’m not sure of the last digit due to rounding. On the one hand, I considered posting the APY instead of APR for the 4-week T-Bills, since all other bank accounts advertise APY so that’d be the correct rate for comparisons. On the other hand, the difference is too small even for aggressive rate chasers, and I didn’t want to have to explain this :slight_smile: .

Ally savings and MM: 3% → 3.3% effective 12/16,

6 Likes

Oops. It’s not the frequence of interest payments, the higher yield happens when the interest is reinvested in the CD so the interest earnings compound. A 4% CD paying interest monthly will yield the same interest as a 4% CD paying interest annually if there is no compunding. The higher yield comes from those monthly (or whatever interval) interest payments being added to the principle for future interest payments, so each month (or whatever period) there is more interest being earned despite the interest rate remaining the same.

3 Likes

You’re right that I forgot to mention compounding, but it is also the frequency, because the “A” in APR and APY is “annual”, so the payments must happen more than once a year in order for any compounding to count :slight_smile:.

But the APY advertised for savings accounts assumes that you’ll keep the money and the interest in the account to compound. Maybe that’s why I didn’t mention it.

NPCD=3.50%

4 Likes

Except that a 5 year CD that only pays/compounds interest once/year will still have a APY higher than it’s APR.

1 Like

New rate leader: MySavingsDirect Savings was 3.90% now 4.35%
Third Coast Bank Savings(via SaveBetter) was 3.70% now 4.13%
CIT Bank Savings Connect was 3.60% now 3.85%
Ally Bank Savings was 3.00% now 3.30%
Barclays Bank Savings was 3.00% now 3.40%

8 Likes

SoFi Savings 3.25% → 3.50%

Move your money out, maybe they’ll offer another deposit bonus :joy:

3 Likes

Although not a great rate, Keesler has restarted their HIMMA+ promotion. They’re very proud to offer a 3% rate guaranteed for 6 months. I guess a lot of account holders bailed after the original HIMMA+ was cancelled.

3 Likes

Yes including me. I’ll come back to Kessler when they upgrade their rates. Although I still have that One Year add-on account 1.5%. :frowning:

1 Like

A Fidelity money market fund yielding 4.1%. You need $100 K to open it but the balance can drop below that afterwards. According to the Bogleheads, you can drop it down to about $10K before they squawk.

BTW the no minimum SPRXX yields 3.98%

2 Likes

I thought that was the case, but the description says you need to keep $100K minimum at all times, not just initial investment. Is Bogleheads information current?

I have an account with a balance of about $20 K and so far no squawking.

1 Like

CFG Bank MM was 4.05% now 4.15%
Popular Direct Savings was 4.01% now 4.11%
Ivy Bank Savings was 3.90% now 4.05%
Personal Capital Cash Management was 3.35% now 3.85%
Wealthfront Cash Account was 3.30% now 3.80%
ConnectOneBank Savings was 3.25% now 3.90%
Quontic Bank Savings was 3.20% now 3.50%
Betterment Cash Reserve was 3.20% now 3.75%
SFGI Direct was 3.01% now 3.26%
Colorado Federal Savings Bank was 2.80% now 3.00%

6 Likes