Poll: Vote now in this race to the bottom

Arresting him was clearly just a racist attempt to surpress voting.

3 Likes

this is shaking up the Democrats here in California. Romero has been a proponent of charter schools for a long time. They are opposed by the teachers union and their puppet Gavin Newsom

Now youā€™re just being a homophobe. Give it up, you canā€™t win. :smile:

Heā€™s obviously running for the head of the CA chapter of the DNC. With a rĆ©sumĆ© like that, he could ā€¦ go ā€¦ all ā€¦ the ā€¦ way (apologies to Howard). :smile:

On the thin Democratic replacement field in the recall election.

Governor Gavin Newsom had a bad year. First he pissed off Republicans with his strong response to COVID. Then he pissed off the people who wanted strong responses to COVID by attending an unvaccinated unmasked indoor dinner. Also, taxes are still high, homelessness is still high, rents are still (too damn) high, and parts of the state are literally on fire. Gavin Newsom didnā€™t cause most of this, but he also hasnā€™t announced any particularly inspired plans to fight it. Just a really, really bad year.

1 Like

Like hell he didnā€™t. The article is just musings of a Democrat who is scared shitless that his guy is going to lose and be recalled.

Now look - he may have had a tough environment, but tell me one governor (in CA, it doesnā€™t matter which party) who has reduced taxes, reduced homelessness, reduced rents, or reduced wildfires. Iā€™ll be happy to send one a buck if theyā€™ve done one - a couple of thou if theyā€™ve honestly done more than one.

Please donā€™t mistake the above as support. I think heā€™s soulless and worthless (definition of a politician, sadly). He has no interest in bettering Cali, unless it betters him. His ā€œconcernā€ for the alphabet and homeless classes is completely fake/flake. Heā€™s a self-centered jackass with delusions of grandeur (or gandeur in the goose world). He is just like Marioā€™s kid on the East coast.

I think he should be recalled on general principles of being a politician/liar - not for any of the above referenced reasons - unless he said he was going to fix/improve/eradicate them.

1 Like

How close is the CA recall? ā€œThis closeā€

Larry Elderā€™s onetime fiancee said she filed a report with Los Angeles Police Wednesday over an incident six years ago

If only the Democrats would work as hard on governing as this batch does on election dirty tricks, maybe theyā€™d face fewer recallsā€¦

4 Likes

I will name two: Ronald Reagan and George Duekmajian. Both reduced taxes. Both reduced regulations that drive up housing costs. Both allowed logging companies to work in and manage the forests. I was here during the drought in the late 70s and there was no talk of massive wildfires. Newsom and the left have allowed envirowackos to stop all thinning of the forests.

They were not perfect. Ronald Reagan closed the state mental hospitals and turned the mentally ill people out onto the street. But that was part of a misguided national movement and the mentally ill form a fairly small portion of the homeless. By far a larger portion are addicts to various kinds of drugs. Or just plain bums.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think this is accurate. Iā€™m pretty sure the substance abuse is self medication for the mental illness. Iā€™m pretty sure the majority of homeless have mental illness. That may not have been the case back then because ā€œmental illnessā€ wasnā€™t as all-encompassing as it is today. But the majority of people living on the streets today arenā€™t just plain bums/addicts.

1 Like

I looked into this at one point and it seems the vast majority of homeless currently are drug addicts, crazy, or (often) both. Some of the problems with the decriminalization approach popular on the west coast is that 1) drug dealing continues in homeless areas moreso than when it was illegal, and 2) arresting homeless addicts for random minor crimes and throwing them in jail for a few days sometimes helped them detox and get themselves back together instead of constantly being proffered drugs where they live. Unintended consequences are a hallmark of most feel-good Democratic policies.

3 Likes

As you say, I think, it is a matter of definition. Is an addict mentally ill? Probably so, but by mentally ill, Iā€™m referring to people with illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. These were the people in mental hospitals during Reaganā€™s time --not addicts. If you claim that most of the people on the street are suffering from these two diseases, do you have any references? I will also try to look it up and it will be hard to find politically unbiased statistics. The statistics that I recall are that itā€™s less than 5% people with these diseases on the streets.

The first google result says 25% have serious mental illness and 45% have some mental illness. So I was wrong in saying it was the majority. Itā€™s less than 50%. But not much less and a far cry from 5%.

1 Like

I have compassion for all people who live on the street but particularly for people who suffer from serious mental illness. Any number is too large.

Newsom has done almost nothing about it except talk and spend a lot of money on building $600,000 per unit shelters.

With a super majority in the legislature, Newsom could have passed laws that allow people to be put in protective custody with protections for their rights. I know someone who is mentally ill but they(used to protect privacy) do very well because they take medication. The mentally ill people on the street by and large do not take any medication and there are effective treatments for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

2 Likes

Thank You. Revisionism hasnā€™t corrected everyoneā€™s memory ā€¦ I see re-education in your future. :smile:

1 Like

Huh? Considering the source, Iā€™m impressed that line made it past the editor. He may have been too busy reading other twits.

My apologies for responses to multiple quotes in one message. Iā€™ve run into the 3 consec. reply limit.

Most of the homeless Iā€™ve seen have been hustlers, not crazies. They may have been faking homelessness, though. One way to test your idea is to lock up the mentally ill in the same kinds of facilities as Reagan closed down. It canā€™t be a club-med-ill facility. :smile:

Itā€™s worth repeating, but ā€œfeel-good Democrat policiesā€ is redundant, unless youā€™re a taxpayer.

Are you trying to quote a rĢ¶aĢ¶pĢ¶iĢ¶sĢ¶tĢ¶ Commander in Chief? I agree that if youā€™re only talking real crazies, it probably is less than 10%. However, I disagree that an addict is probably mentally ill.

No offense, but the studyā€™s foundation says that 20% of the public lives with mental illness. Sadly, it seems that, given an option, lots of people would rather be easy victims than have amazing opportunities that require hard work. The VC is growing by leaps and bounds, with a huge population on the wait list. Iā€™m sad, so pay me. Iā€™m also anxious about not getting a check because of my sadness, so pay me more. I overeat when Iā€™m anxious about not getting a check for sadness, so pay me even more so that Iā€™m not food-aware/sensitive/something (another VC). Maybe Iā€™m just being a jerk because I grew up poor and had to work. On the other had, it taught me the value of an education and instilled a work ethic.

I know youā€™ve had a lot of experience on the street and probably dealt with a lot of homeless people, so I respect your opinion. Do you think that if ā€œhomelessnessā€ wasnā€™t a sympathetic, accepted, sĢ¶eĢ¶eĢ¶mĢ¶iĢ¶nĢ¶gĢ¶lĢ¶yĢ¶ Ģ¶cĢ¶eĢ¶lĢ¶eĢ¶bĢ¶rĢ¶aĢ¶tĢ¶eĢ¶dĢ¶,Ģ¶ Ģ¶hĢ¶oĢ¶nĢ¶oĢ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶dĢ¶,Ģ¶ Ģ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶vĢ¶eĢ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶dĢ¶, victim class, would there be so many homeless?

How can we force or bribe a lot of people to take a rushed vaccine that hasnā€™t even been out for a year, yet canā€™t force people on the dole to take medications that are proven safe through multi-decade studies?

4 Likes

Bump for more from the Goose

To be clear, they are usually taking street drugs like heroin as the medication for their mental illness.

Honestly, east coast (where I live) homelessness canā€™t shine the shoes of west coast homelessness. I feel like the two are completely different animals. No amount of sympathy in the world is worth being homeless in the winter when the temperatures get under freezing. Without much personal experience with the west coast homeless, I donā€™t think I can really speak to it that well. Homelessness is just easier there, in almost every sense.

4 Likes

Heard earlier today an interesting take; sharing it now:

Word on the street is the ongoing Biden fiasco could cost Newsom between three and four points in next monthā€™s recall voting. None of Bidenā€™s outrageous incompetence is Newsomā€™s fault - obviously. But the thought is that Biden, and his team, have already seriously tarnished the Democrat party brand. This, some believe, could erode Newsomā€™s vote . . . . he being a Democrat.

Given the California recall voting rules it could happen at least two ways:

Dispirited Newsom/Democrat voters might decide not to vote.

Swing voters might decide to ā€œremoveā€.

Biden is digging a hole for his party. Hope itā€™s deep!

1 Like