Prospects for WWIII

News on the North Carolina power outage. To put this article in perspective the power outage happened on Saturday and it is now Thursday over four days later

1 Like

To be fair, I dont think many utilities are prepared to repair core system damage from gunfire. That’s way beyond the typical blown transformer or downed power line. I’m guessing there are parts involved that they only stock when it’s part of upcoming planned maintenance.

1 Like

Probably not a good time to live near a rural Air Force base either. Hello, North Dakota!

1 Like

To be fair, for Duke Energy to take this long is, in my jaded, suspicious opinion, by design. For a utility of this size with significant territory in hurricane prone areas, to not have replacement parts within 24 hours of diagnosis is … not criminal, but not far from it - JHC you’re a utility. You’re not Sears, Walmart, a grocery store, or a gas station, but a single source utility with millions of customers.

1 Like

I’d agree. Except that this isnt the type of damage typically seen from weather events. I’ll bet the delays were due to damage to components that “never” fail even under the most adverse natural conditions, where the “repair” essentially requires rebuilding that section of the facility from scratch. Even with the parts, there’s a ton of dismantling and reassembling required to get back online.

I accept that your scenario may be the case. I still find it hard to believe that a utility of their size (and their rates) does not have spares of every component in their system. They don’t need hundreds, but at least one.

Ukraine escalation

• PUTIN: MOSCOW WILL STATION TACTICAL NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN BELARUS - TASS.
  • PUTIN: PLACEMENT OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN BELARUS WILL NOT VIOLATE NUCLEAR NON-PROLIFERATION ACCORDS - TASS.
  • RUSSIA HAS MOVED 10 AIRCRAFT TO BELARUS THAT ARE CAPABLE OF CARRYING TACTICAL NUCLEAR WEAPONS - TASS.
  • PUTIN: WE’RE NOT TRANSFERRING OUR NUCLEAR WEAPONS TO BELARUS BUT WILL STATION THEM THERE, LIKE THE US DOES IN EUROPE - TASS.
  • US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE: WE HAVE FOUND NO REASON TO CHANGE OUR OWN STRATEGIC NUCLEAR POSTURE, NOR HAVE WE SEEN ANY SIGNALS THAT RUSSIA IS PLANNING TO USE A NUCLEAR WEAPON.
2 Likes

Another whopper along the line of “mostly peaceful, protests” and the southern border is secure.

1 Like

Milley’s comment probably got a lot of interest in Jerusalem and Riyadh

Words matter, and Milley’s insertion of “fielded” is the national security equivalent of a White House holiday weekend embarrassing document dump. In effect, Milley shifts US policy from denying Iran a nuclear weapon to acknowledging that the United States will not take action so long as a nuclear Iran does not deploy its nuclear weapons.[quote=“onenote, post:110, topic:4460, full:true”]
Did the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Just Say the US Will Not Prevent a Nuclear Iran? - 19FortyFive

Words matter, and Milley’s insertion of “fielded” is the national security equivalent of a White House holiday weekend embarrassing document dump. In effect, Milley shifts US policy from denying Iran a nuclear weapon to acknowledging that the United States will not take action so long as a nuclear Iran does not deploy its nuclear weapons.
[/quote]

2 Likes

While not in agreement, I love the analogy, and it gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

And once they’re deployed, President Joseph Robinette Biden will send someone out on a Friday evening to acknowledge that the United States will not take action so long as a nuclear Iran does not use its nuclear weapons. :smile: Smokin Hunter Joseph learned a lot about moving lines in the sand from the anointed one.

2 Likes

china

I presume the, possibly idiotic, reporter failed to ask “how long has he been preparing”. His answer would be “forever”.

1 Like

Biden still appeasing Iran until they can nuke Israel off his list of problems.

You might have thought that, given all of Iran’s troublemaking in the Middle East of late, now would be the time to take a stand against its march toward nuclear-power status. Apparently not.

The Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency is meeting for its quarterly confab in Vienna this week, and Reuters reports that Western powers were considering proposing a resolution condemning Iran for its failure to cooperate with the organization but decided against it. The reason for backing down? Because the Biden administration wasn’t on board.

https://www.reuters.com/world/west-avoids-seriously-confronting-iran-iaea-meet-begins-2024-03-04/

list of problems between the IAEA and Iran has only grown. Iran failed to fully honour an agreement to re-install IAEA cameras at some sites and in September barred some of the agency’s most valued inspectors.

Washington, however, has opposed seeking a resolution against Iran for months, at least in part because of the impending U.S. presidential election in November, diplomats have said, and again it was the most reluctant of the four powers.

3 Likes

Taiwan escalation

3 Likes

Although TSMC is putting some of its production facilities in other countries, I think it keeps the crown jewels in Taiwan. If Trump’s polls keep looking good as we get closer to the election, China may be motivated to act sooner rather than later, while the current US regime is in power

2 Likes

Interesting choice of words… “on Chinese border” since the two countries don’t physically border each other, at least not by land.

2 Likes

It also reinforces the fact that Taiwan is not part of China.

2 Likes

I wonder what role the latest bombing of Iranian consulate at Syria plays in the overall middle east puzzle

1 Like

Can I get a resounding “Death to Israel! Death to America!”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-10/us-sees-missile-strike-on-israel-by-iran-proxies-as-imminent

US Sees Missile Strike on Israel By Iran, Proxies as Imminent

Iran, proxies may strike Israeli military, government sites
Attack would mark major widening of conflict in Middle East

Maybe we can give them another several $B to help buy more missiles.

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/10/israel-us-iran-defense-coordination-threats

1 Like

The oil market does not seem to be worried. WTI price is $85. Up from $72 at the beginning of 2024 but less than the 2023 peak.

2 Likes