The 2020 USA POTUS election politics, the civil war, and the world war (Part 2)

President Trump will be in attendance at tonight’s World Series game in Atlanta.

Watch for the "Let’s go Brandon"signs to pop up throughout the crowd. :slightly_smiling_face:

Biden, of course, is in Europe. Sure wish we could keep him there.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Political junkie followers of this thread should be paying some attention to the NJ gubernatorial contest. Consider:

The election is only three days away and Biden is AWOL. At this point Youngkin has a real chance in Virginia. Phil Murphy will most likely win in NJ, however he has steadily been losing ground to his Republican opponent, Jack Ciattarelli. Jack is not a Trump guy and even in the unlikely event of a Ciattarelli victory it would not be a big deal for MAGA. But here’s the thing:

Both the VA and NJ elections are as near as we’re gonna get to a referendum on Biden’s first nine months. So if Youngkin wins and Ciattarelli even comes close it’s going to reflect VERY poorly on POTUS and diminish his political power still further.

That is what we must hope for. Anything that reflects poorly on Biden is good for America. Both VA and NJ are blue states won overwhelmingly by Biden last November. But even the people in those states might be waking up to reality.

4 Likes

Satire roundup.

The cat is out of the bag

I have no clue what is going to happen. But the Democrats have finally figured this out. The tension remains as before, to wit:

1. Pelosi’s steadfast refusal to hold a vote until she is certain she “has the votes”.

2. The election on Tuesday which might go poorly for Democrats with repercussions which could bite them in Congress.

The above factors remain in conflict but Democrats appear finally to have realized “something’s got to give”. Hence:

It is widely reported this morning that Pelosi will hold a vote on Tuesday . . . only hours before election outcomes are known. She is apparently hoping to use the election outcome threat as a cudgel against her own left wing crazies. They will either vote to take what they can on Tuesday or risk losing much more than that if the elections go against them. In particular:

They will have to vote for Biden’s plan without assurance from Manchin and Sinema of support, in the Senate, for their liberal spending fantasies. In short the election is bringing matters to a head. Will the left wing crazies in the House (I refuse to call them “progressives”) buckle . . . or will they continue to hold out? We should know quite soon.

There was an election in Japan that could have repercussions around the world. The ruling party won but with a narrower majority. They will try to push through a doubling of their military spending and also to reopen the nuclear plants that were stupidly closed down.

For the first time, the LDP has included a goal to spend 2% of GDP on the military, about $100 billion, in an election policy platform https://www.reuters.com/article/japan-election-idUSL4N2RF1HS.

The pledge shows Japan could eventually abandon a longstanding unofficial policy of keeping military budgets within 1% of GDP

1 Like

Here’s hoping that the radicals hold out :sunglasses: :innocent:. I am afraid that Manchin and Sinema will fold like a cheap suit when the pressure is applied to them.

Following up on the immigration payoff insanity. Note that under the Biden Build Back Bigger agenda from last week includes $100B to be thrown around to help people not citizens. That’s over 5% of the bill they can’t quite get the votes for.

The Build Back Better framework includes a $100 billion investment that will improve our immigration system by providing long awaited relief to millions through reconciliation, and making enhancements to reduce backlogs, expand legal representation, and make the asylum system and border processing more efficient and humane.

Commentary below from other blog on the immigration disaster in progress.

——

Illegal Immigration-How Did We Get Here?

I have written countless pieces about how the world has gone mad and the overly woke ways in which we live today. I am really at a loss for the latest Biden proposal of paying illegal immigrants $450k/person and $1mm/family (WSJ and Forbes articles). Lawyers representing the families are requesting $3.4mm/family according to this Yahoo article which clearly supports large payments. “The Biden administration is correct to provide relief to the children and families affected by the government’s horrific practice of family separation,” ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt said in a statement. “Their suffering is something they will always live with, and it is a deep moral stain on our country. We need to make it right, and this includes not simply any monetary support, but also a path to remain here. This is what is right and fair.

I want to start by saying what happened with the separation of approximately 5,500 children from parents was unthinkable and I did not support the policy. However, I also do not believe people who came into the US illegally should be paid $450k per person or $1mm/family. I believe they should be sent home to go through the proper channels to obtain legal entry into the US. They did break the law. Think of the precedent and what will happen in the future if we were stupid enough to make these payments. I want to put $450k into perspective in a few different ways.

Most of the immigrants were from Central American countries which have the following gross national income per capita (Honduras $2,200, El Salvador $3,650, Guatemala $4,490 and Mexico $8,480) The US government wants to give these people/families approximately $1bn in total. Do you know how much the next of kin of a fallen American hero who dies in combat receives? The answer is $100k according to this US Government website. The NY Post suggests the government gives $400k in death, but two official government websites contradict that amount. In speaking with people in the armed services, I believe the differential is due to insurance which can be purchased by the individual to get to the higher amount. So, an AMERICAN life who died serving the country is worth 80% less than an illegal immigrant who was separated from their family? Am I seriously the only person who questions what is happening here? The average US Army cadet makes $39k/year for perspective.

What is the median and average net worth of an American by age? See the chart below according to CNBC. Remember, the averages are skewed by the uber wealthy, so I feel the median is more representative of reality. The $450k payment would make people who illegally come into our country far wealthier than the median household in the US. Many of these households have worked and paid taxes for decades. Do we still think the proposed payments are fair? Under the Biden proposal, these illegal families would have a $1mm net worth or 4 to 5x the median US household.

|514x388.2201524132091

I spoke with a reader and friend who is irate. It took her 17 years to LEGALLY obtain American citizenship. She attended college, worked, paid taxes and followed the protocol per the proper legal channels. She has had substantial jobs and has been a value-added member of society. Now, people who come illegally and break the law will get up to 200 times the average annual income of their country? I presume these proposed payments are tax free. I spoke with an Australian pro golfer today. Coincidentally, he told me it also took him 17 years to become a citizen going through the proper channels, yet illegal immigrants will be paid 4.5 times the amount a dead American soldier’s family will receive for his/her passing? Mike Cembalest (JPM), recently wrote: “highly educated immigrants who qualify for green cards wait an average of 16 years before receiving them.” Remember, AOC blasted the Trump policies, but still believes conditions under the Biden Administration are still, “barbaric.” Does this mean the $1bn contemplated payments is the beginning?

I am a firm believer that LEGAL immigration is one of the things which has made America a great melting pot. Here is a list of 10 immigrants to America, but there are thousands more behind it. Names include Albert Einstein, Sergey Brin, Levi Strauss, Joseph Pulitzer, I M Pei, Henry Kissinger, Nikola Tesla, Ayn Rand, Andrew Carnegie, Elon Musk and countless others. This article suggests there were 45mm immigrants in the USA in 2018 for perspective. I am not opposed to immigration, but I am not supportive of paying obscene amounts of money to people who broke the law despite the separation issues. I fully support legal immigration and going through the proper channels and process. The longer such incredibly moronic proposals happen the greater the divide in this country in my opinion. In four counties of NY alone, 5,000 unaccompanied children between 10/1/20 and 8/31/21 came to schools who had illegally crossed the border. With public education costing approximately $28k/child, that is $139mm for NY taxpayers to support.

How did we get here and how do we get home?

3 Likes

This simplistic view casts doubt on all the conclusions in the article. First of all, these people were breaking our laws. Unless you want to release them into United States like the Democrats are doing now, you have to hold them in detention until our legal system deals with them. The only alternative to also imprisoning the children with the adults was to separate them.

Second, it was not at all clear that these were the biological children of the adults with them. The system was being gamed by the coyotes. I seem to recall that DNA tests showed that many of them were not their children.

so this whole business of kids in cages is part of the leftists’ fake stories as much as the Russia collusion. The author not at least making a comment on this shows that he’s either gullible or part of the leftist conspiracy against President Trump. Edit. OK. I overstated this. But it’s still very annoying that the author accepts the story at face value.

Edit.
this action by the Democrats is not at all incomprehensible. A large part of their strategy to destroy America is to import people whom they can register to vote to ensure that no conservative can win an election.

1 Like

Additional payouts to illegal immigrants under the Biden plan are hidden in the Additional Child Tax Credit, which no longer has a work requirement or a restriction to parents legally in the country.

The stalled budget reconciliation bill replaces the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), which paid cash to low-income workers with children, with a program that is part of the enhanced Child Tax Credit (CTC). The program resembles traditional cash welfare because it entirely drops the old ACTC’s work requirement. It also significantly increases payment size. The new program was authorized in the stimulus for one year. As was true of the old ACTC, any illegal immigrant with a U.S.-born child is eligible for the new program. We estimate that illegal immigrants will receive $8.2 billion in payments from the new program annually — more than triple what they were eligible for under the old ACTC — while legal immigrants will receive $17.2 billion. The 10-year cost just for illegal immigrants would total roughly $80 billion.

I think those numbers are from the higher, grander bill when there were still a couple more Trillions of waste, but it appears that either way, 1/3 of the money spent on this will go to illegal immigrants. The current line item for child tax credits and more earned income credits (paying people for being poor or working off the books) is $200B and you can bet the doubled-in-size Biden IRS won’t make checking for EIC fraud a priority compared to say auditing rich conservative political donors.

2 Likes

This makes a sliver of sense. The credit is for kids, and should benefit all American kids regardless of their parents.

Just a small sliver of sense, but still a sliver.

Seems to me the Democrats are confiscating the money of real, hard working Americans. They seek to use that money to undermine and weaken our own country by importing then supporting foreign peasants who, once they are able to vote, will succeed in completing the process and finishing us off.

On the gargantuan payments to illegals:

Much of the money will end up in the pockets of American trial lawyers who will in turn funnel a portion of their booty back into DNC coffers in the form of political contributions. This is a way for Democrats to feather their nests with OUR tax money!

I’m seeing that as our only hope at this eleventh hour. And I don’t have a lot of hope. However:

The Democrat’s insane far left wing caucus has been fixated on bill provisions which, up until now, have been politically impossible. That political impossibility is ongoing and will not change. Our only hope is for that far left caucus to remain adamant and intransigent until a day or two after the election with the results having had time to sink in.

My fear is that, as I was hearing over the weekend, the Democrats will vote tomorrow with their radicals throwing in the towel and rubber stamping Biden’s albeit scaled down but still gargantuan spending. If that happens we’re cooked.

Radical left wing Democrats are insane but not stupid. At least some of them will read and react to the handwriting on the wall, visible even now prior to the election. But I hope their insanity prevails nevertheless.

Once people have opportunity to vote in, what is in essence, a referendum on Biden and his failed administration so far, the wind should come out of the Democrats’ sails pronto.

I hope Manchin is not just posturing but this could be good news. He says he will refuse to vote on the super big spendspalooza until he has more time to study it. It looks like he’s calling the communists’ bluff. Who will blink first?

1 Like

I think he just knows the typical playbook - when your agenda is rebuffed, you add a line item that’s vague enough it can eventually be used to fund your agenda anyways. $1.75B may be the compromise amount, but he wants to make sure there’s no slush fund built in, and what the money is for will be what the money is actually spent on.

i dont know much about him, but it seems like Manchin is actually doing what politicians are suppose to do.

[Introductory note: This piece is behind the Washington Post paywall. If you want to read it in its entirety without paying, turn off javascript in your browser before clicking the below link]

Count on Democrats to ignore the lessons of a Youngkin win

While Youngkin was barnstorming to crowds of 1,000 people, McAuliffe made his pitch to “sparsely attended” rallies, according to the New York Times. I expect Youngkin to emerge as the winner early on Tuesday evening.

The question then becomes: What do congressional Democrats do in response? President Biden is fixated on spending massive amounts of federal money despite his plunging favorability ratings. Will Democrats in Congress study a Youngkin win and conclude, “Um, let’s change course”?

My guess is no.

A blowout in 2022 is again on the horizon if Democrats insist on hosing the country down with spending. It’s one thing to advance an agenda many economists and most independent voters think is unwise; Democrats will be stuck on stupid if they press ahead after a Youngkin win.

And Virginia may not be the only referendum on the greater Biden agenda: New Jersey Republican Jack Ciattarelli is closing on Democratic governor Phil Murphy, sharing in the surge that is powering Youngkin, though Ciattarelli has more ground to make up in a much bluer state. Still, watch that margin, too, Tuesday night.

Then eyes on Capitol Hill, where I expect House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to make an appearance, and deliver a We-Will-Press-On speech Wednesday, just as she did in 2010. Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) will follow in the footsteps of his predecessor Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) and pay no attention to the voters behind the curtains in Virginia and New Jersey. Pelosi and Schumer will drive through another $2 trillion in spending and the politically frail Biden will sign it.

Read remainder of this WaPo piece here:

Count on Democrats to ignore the lessons of a Youngkin win

In addition to that, I think he’s actually keyed in (as much as a senator can be) on the economic uncertainty that our middle and lower class is currently facing with supply chain disruptions and significant inflation. He knows that if he votes for this and his constituents’ economic lives get worse, regardless of the actual connection there is between the two, the connection will be made. People will ask why he was busy voting for the largest spending package in the history of the republic (much of it going to “wind farms”) while they’re back at home with noticeably higher heating bills and supermarket trips.

This is just really bad timing to be pushing the Biden New Deal.

I’m afraid you and the editorial writer are correct. The left always thinks long-term. If they can push through entitlement programs they know that they cannot be repealed. They will get people dependent on the government and they know that is to their advantage. If they can import millions of voters, they will have an advantage for many years. If they can continue to indoctrinate children in government schools, they know that people rarely change their politics.

1 Like

The Democrats are getting shellacked right across the board. This is true even if Cittarelli ends up losing in NJ.

So what comes next for Democrats?

Some Democrats will want to double down on the giveaways. Other Democrats will understand they are on the wrong track and want to pull back on their Santa Claus policies.

I’m betting Pelosi, their leader from San Francisco, will be in the “more giveaways” camp.

Even Seattle voted for a Republican AG. So much for the “crime pays” democratic agenda of emptying prisons and canceling bail.

1 Like