When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated?

I wanted to get my vaccine at Rite Aid. I fill all my prescriptions there & last time I got my flu shot at Rite Aid. I kept checking & to this date they still haven’t given any covid vaccines there.

But like your story of that experience. I had been checking near & far for an appointment. So when I got an e-mail from the county office for an upcoming date I grabbed it.

We had a fairly long drive to a larger nearby city. When driving into the enclosed church parking area I could see the long line outside. In fact there was a camera man adjusting his news place for reporting on this vaccine site. Big news of the day!

We got in the outside line which moved along slow to medium. When inside we sat at a table to fill out forms, then moved into another line, which had us pretty close. Fairly uncomfortable but this line moved along pretty fast. Then inside the vaccination room, which was clean & very sanitary. Quick shot & 25 minute rest afterward in the church seating area. I’d say a good 3+ hour deal,

So all of my family have different experiences involving getting appointments & waiting time. But all & all I’m so happy that we’re all vaccinated now & no problems at this point.

JNJ that didn’t take long. FDA said it was “safe enough” on Friday.

Any Les Mis fans?

2 Likes

huge fan here of the ending . Do you hear the people? Beware the suffering masses if you starve them!

How Long The Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Takes To Be Fully Protective Against COVID

The Johnson & Johnson COVID shot is one dose only. You’re considered fully vaccinated two weeks, or 14 days, after your Johnson & Johnson vaccine, per the CDC, but your immune system continues to react to the shot for at least a month. Data from Johnson & Johnson published in the New England Journal of Medicine in January 2021 shows that the protectiveness of its vaccine against serious COVID also grows over time, becoming even more effective at 28 days post-shot — from 85% prevention of hospitalizations at 14 days to 100% prevention at 28 days.

3 Likes

WV bribing the younger crowd to get a vaccine. Note savings bonds are worth half of face value.

2 Likes

We’re at 54% (of adults > 18 y.o with at least one dose). We should know in the next 2 weeks if the “opted out” make up 40% or higher. I suspect it’ll be lower.

(This story comes from California)

You Don’t Have to Suffer to Benefit From Covid Vaccination — But Some Prefer It

If you think vaccination is an ordeal now, consider the 18th-century version. After having pus from a smallpox boil scratched into your arm, you would be subject to three weeks of fever, sweats, chills, bleeding and purging with dangerous medicines, accompanied by hymns, prayers and hell-fire sermons by dour preachers.

This story also ran on NPR. It can be republished for free.

That was smallpox vaccination, back then. The process generally worked and was preferred to enduring “natural” smallpox, which killed around a third of those who got it. Patients were often grateful for trial-by-immunization — once it was over, anyway.

“Thus through the Mercy of God, I have been preserved through the Distemper of the Small Pox,” wrote one Peter Thatcher in 1764, after undergoing the process in a Boston inoculation hospital. “Many and heinous have been my sins, but I hope they will be washed away.”

Today, Americans are once again surprisingly willing, even eager, to suffer a little for the reward of immunity from a virus that has turned the world upside down.

Roughly half of those vaccinated with the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, and in particular women, experience unpleasantness, from hot, sore arms to chills, headache, fever and exhaustion. Sometimes they boast about the symptoms. They often welcome them.

Suspicion about what was in the shots grew in the mind of Patricia Mandatori, an Argentine immigrant in Los Angeles, when she hardly felt the needle going in after her first dose of the Moderna vaccine at a March appointment.

A day later, though, with satisfaction, she “felt like a truck hit me,” Mandatori said. “When I started to feel rotten I said, ‘Yay, I got the vaccination.’ I was happy. I felt relieved.”

While the symptoms show your immune system is responding to the vaccine in a way that will protect against disease, evidence from clinical trials showed that people with few or no symptoms were also protected. Don’t feel bad if you don’t feel bad, the experts say.

“This is the first vaccine in history where anyone has ever complained about not having symptoms,” said immunologist Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

To be sure, there is some evidence of stronger immune response in younger people — and in those who get sick when vaccinated. A small study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that people who reported systemic side effects such as fever, chills and headache may have had somewhat higher levels of antibodies. The large trial for Pfizer’s vaccine showed the same trend in younger patients.

But that doesn’t mean people who don’t react to the vaccine severely are less protected, said Dr. Joanna Schaenman, an expert on infectious diseases and the immunology of aging at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. While the symptoms of illness are undoubtedly part of the immune response, the immune response that counts is protection, she said. “That is preserved across age groups and likely to be independent of whether you had local or systemic side effects or not.”

The immune system responses that produce post-vaccination symptoms are thought to be triggered by proteins called toll-like receptors, which reside on certain immune cells. These receptors are less functional in older people, who are also likely to have chronic, low-grade activation of their immune systems that paradoxically mutes the more rapid response to a vaccine.

But other parts of their immune systems are responding more gradually to the vaccine by creating the specific types of cells needed to protect against the coronavirus. These are the so-called memory B cells, which make antibodies to attack the virus, and “killer T cells” that track and destroy virus-infected cells.

Many other vaccines, including those that prevent hepatitis B and bacterial pneumonia, are highly effective while having relatively mild side effect profiles, Schaenman noted.

Whether you have a strong reaction to the vaccine “is an interesting but, in a sense, not vital question,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of infectious disease at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The bottom line, he said: “Don’t worry about it.”

There was a time when doctors prescribed cod-liver oil and people thought medicine had to taste bad to be effective. People who get sick after covid vaccination “feel like we’ve had a tiny bit of suffering, we’ve girded our loins against the real thing,” said Schaenman (who had a slight fever). “When people don’t have the side effects, they feel they’ve been robbed” of the experience.

Still, side effects can be a hopeful sign, especially when they end, says McCarty Memorial Christian Church leader Eddie Anderson, who has led efforts to vaccinate Black churchgoers in Los Angeles. He helps them through the rocky period by reminding them of the joyful reunions with children and grandchildren that will be possible post-vaccination.

“I’m a Christian pastor,’’ he said. “I tell them, ‘If you make it through the pain and discomfort, healing is on the other side. You can be fully human again.’”

This story was produced by KHN, which publishes California Healthline, an editorially independent service of the California Health Care Foundation.

KHN (Kaiser Health News) is a national newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about health issues. Together with Policy Analysis and Polling, KHN is one of the three major operating programs at KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation). KFF is an endowed nonprofit organization providing information on health issues to the nation.

USE OUR CONTENT

This story can be republished for free (details).

Subscribe to KHN’s free Morning Briefing.

PFE don’t forget to get your second shot. seems to help with the variants.

The screwups by Johnson and Johnson continue.

Standing alongside Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan at their Baltimore-area plant, Emergent CEO Robert Kramer boasted about the biotech firm’s role as “one of the key suppliers” helping to produce two promising COVID-19 vaccines, and its “valuable contribution to society in being able to make hundreds of millions of doses available.”

Kramer’s comments that day reflected a confidence that he and other Emergent executives had outwardly conveyed for months – one born of lucrative government contracts and, as a result, generous returns on the horizon for its investors.

What investors say they were not told: Emergent had at that time discarded vaccine ingredients slated for millions of Johnson & Johnson doses due to a string of quality control errors. And that on Feb. 8, nearly six weeks before Emergent’s lab errors became public, Kramer had completed a weeks-long stock transaction that netted him millions of dollars – and that later saved him millions more when the company’s stock tumbled upon news of its failures, securities filings show.

The disconnect between Kramer’s public confidence and the firm’s private woes may have landed Emergent in a crisis of its own making. The company now faces an investor lawsuit, threats of additional class-action suits, a congressional investigation, and calls for the Securities and Exchange Commission to probe Kramer’s stock activities.

The left is of course using this as a cudgel against President Trump. They gave him no credit for operation warp speed but would like to criticize him for any problems.

3 Likes

I’m not saying whether this is objectively good or bad on its face, but I will say as an objective comparison, this is a 100x better use of tax money than 75% of what’s in the $6 trillion of spending Biden has just proposed.

3 Likes

Beggars can’t be choosers, the Canadian edition. Some of that Baltimore vintage JNJ…

Please keep the politics to the politics thread.

Slippery slope. Some of the people hesitating might start expecting a “signup bonus” in other states. Or the current offer to go up.

I am now at 48 hours past my Johnson and Johnson vaccine. Yesterday, I felt some fatigue but it wasn’t outrageously bad. Today I feel better and I did my usual exercise.

I got it at a CVS pharmacy and it was a very low-key affair with only one other person there for a vaccine. Much better than the mob scenes I had seen here in Silicon Valley as I drove by vax sites a few weeks ago.

1 Like

FDA saying they’re likely to approve PFE for age 12+ early next week.

3 Likes

I was hoping JNJ would be the one I’d get for my teenager. But they continue to have supply chain issues.

Nobody should look upon this post as containing facts. At the same time, it might. This is sort of a distillation of stuff I have read elsewhere. I might be jumping to an erroneous conclusion . . . or not. The uncertainty is owing to the fact nobody is readily admitting to anything, and the press is not curious, since if true this could harm the overall effort to vaccinate everyone:

This Emergent outfit is, as onenote indicated, a rat-infested money grubbing filthy POS. While it’s possible none of their tainted J&J vaccine reached American arms (God help Canada), there is sadly another aspect.

J&J manufactures vaccine in Europe. That is what I thought, at first, I got. They also manufacture vaccine here in the USA, but not in Baltimore. No problem. But here is the rub:

It is possible the Emergent Baltimore scum manufactured some of the components of the J&J vaccine and then shipped those components to other stateside J&J facilities to be included in the vaccine produced there. Did Emergent ship anything abroad? I dunno.

You can understand why this is like trying to nail Jello to the wall. Anything made in that Baltimore s***hole factory is suspect. That applies to finished vaccine and to vaccine components, as well. So intense is the stench that nobody wants to talk about the details.

PFE press release / earnings comments

——

Pfizer-BioNTech pediatric study evaluating the safety and efficacy of our COVID-19 vaccine in children six months to 11 years of age is ongoing.

• We expect to have definitive readouts and submit for an EUA for two cohorts, including children 2-5 years of age and 5-11 years of age, in September.

• The readout and submission for the cohort of children six months to two years old are expected in Q4.

• We also expect to have Phase 2 safety data from our ongoing study in pregnant women by late July/early August.

Vaccinating children is a slippery moral conundrum. As I understand it, they are personally at almost zero risk from the Covid. I’ve seen articles that said they can get infected in rare cases but even then it is mild.

The claim is that although the virus does not harm them, they can spread the virus to adults.So the reason they are being vaccinated is to protect the adults.

I suppose you can claim that as the epidemic continues it gives the virus the chance to develop more mutations, some of which may affect the children.

As has been the case too often with the Covid, these are speculations based on little evidence.

2 Likes