When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated?

These children will eventually age, and if the virus survives in some form (eg in young hosts) long enough, could mutate and harm them.

And, what about the immuno-compromised children in that cohort, or these allergic to the vaccines? Guilt for being the host that enabled the mutation, with the potential of infecting and killing their family members?

I hear CT governor is organizing restaurants to give out a free beverage for these who are vaccinated. $5 coupon from Target is a good start, too.

Pfizer, Moderna shares plummet after Biden administration backs a COVID-19 vaccine patent waiver

Vaccine patent protection threatened

Notice there is no threat to any J&J vaccine patents. Tells you something if you think about it. :wink:

1 Like

-2.6%

“Plummet”

lol.

2 Likes

Try more like -20% from the news midday yesterday to this morning’s lows for the vaccine pure plays like MNRA, BNTX, and NVAX. PFE and JNJ are much bigger, so moved less.

The bounce today was when Merkel’s German spokesperson told Biden to “stuff it” on his vaccine waivers.

I bought BNTX more this morning but couldn’t post it in the stock thread due to that repeat-post-limits.

1 Like

First dose Pfizer. No problem.

Second dose no problem. Until 20 hours later. I was sleeping. Woke up feeling like i got hit by a truck.

Couldnt goto work. Well could have gone there couldnt have actually worked. Even my hair n teeth hurt. Not all at the same time. But depending on what i was doing. Def entire body hurt at different points during the day.

But next day i was 99.9% good except for sore in shot location.

Im happy i did it. Worth the less stress i think.

6 Likes

One of my neighbors said she got hit by a truck in her youth, and that her second dose was worse than that!

2 Likes

PFE approved for kids 12+

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-emergency-use

Pfizer says it won’t be ready to ask the FDA for new emergency use authorization expansions for kids younger than 12 until September. One such request would cover children from 2 to 5 years old; a second would apply to ages 5 to 11. A third request, aimed at protecting infants and toddlers, isn’t expected until the fourth quarter of this year.

Well, it’s 2 weeks today and we’re at 58.7% (of 18+ with at least one dose) and increasing at ~0.3%/day. I’m pretty sure we’ll cross the 60% mark, but it’s gonna take a long time to fix stupid and get to where we need to be.

1 Like

Need for boosters questioned, no evidence seen yet. Even if antibodies are somewhat less effective against variants, various harder to measure aspects of your immune system like T cells could provide immunity.

INSIGHT-Top scientists question the need for COVID-19 ... (Sorry for the bad formatting)

Of course vaccine companies are working on boosters and would love to sell them to everyone on the government dime indefinitely.

2 Likes

Independent of vaccines, we’re still “fixing” that at the rate of 30-40k reported cases per day, and presumably the unreporting factor is growing for actual-vs-reported since, as the older groups are more vaccinated, the remaining younger unvaccinated population and older fully vaccinated cohorts are much more likely to have an asymptomatic case.

You get to herd immunity one way or the other.

2 Likes

J&J not working out well for the NY Yankees

1 Like

Opinion

Far be it from me to deny the importance of vaccination. I have been vaccinated myself. Vaccinations are essential. However:

The current pandemic improvements, to include both lower death counts and fewer infections and hospitalizations, are not attributable solely to vaccinations. Here where I live it has snowed twice so far this month (May). I do not anticipate more snow until October. Simply put:

The weather is warming markedly. This, together with so many vaccinations, is having a salutary impact on our pandemic crisis.

The vaccinations are working. But the improvement in weather is also contributing.

The tale of woe at J&J just goes on and on. Blame whomever you wish. I blame stupid and shortsighted upper level management:

J&J vaccine efforts badly need a shot in the arm

1 Like

For all of you fellow J&J vaccine mugglers out there, here is the latest scoop. In particular, this piece confirms the J&J vaccine I received early in April did, indeed, come here from Europe:

In early April, shipments of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine reached 5 million doses. However, all of its doses have been imported from a facility in the Netherlands.

So, assuming their facility in Holland is better than their filthy Baltimore operation, the J&J vaccine I got contained no rat droppings. Close one! Here is the rest of the J&J vaccine story and

the latest news on the J&J vaccine

I would do a booster if they combined Flu at the same time. In due time/no hurry this time around: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/research/covid-flu-combo-vaccine-from-novavax-sparks-immune-response-to-both-viruses-animals

https://www.wsj.com/articles/seychelles-the-worlds-most-vaccinated-nation-sees-renewed-covid-19-surge-11620669853?st=ltyvo7wj84a0d5p&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

So we have someone admitting that efficacy matters, and be on NYT, no less. If these Sinopharm numbers were to be believed (a big IF), I wouldn’t be comfortable with the J&J and to a lesser extent, Astrazeneca vaccine. If I had to guess, Sinopharm’s real efficacy is probably much less than J&J’s.

At this point - why subject yourself to the J&J when much better alternatives are available?

2 Likes

Chile is another example of the failure of the Sinovac vaccine.

It amazed me a month ago or so that most of the media was unwilling to say, “Hey, maybe Israel’s success and Chile’s failure have to do with the fact that the Chileans used vaccine A and the Israelis used vaccine B.” Instead, the narrative was all about how we need to keep lockdowns in perpetuity because highly vaccinated countries were still having problems.

And in fact, the Chilean data seems to indicate that the Chinese vaccine was 16% effective at preventing disease, and 36% effective at preventing hospitalization after a single dose. That’s compared to 80% effectiveness after a single shot of Pfizer:

4 Likes

It doesn’t surprise me in the least after the … unusual circumstances when the data was released. Par for the course considering the origin.

It sounds to me like you’re jumping to conclusions about J&J based on the information about Sinopharm.

I see plenty of reasons – availability, one shot vs two, fear of the side effects after 2nd shot, allergies to ingredients, “allergies” to new technology.

2 Likes