When will you allow yourself to be vaccinated?

My point is - Why choose J&J at 76% efficacy when 95% efficacy options exist? That’s 20 pp better. Or, one in four vs. one in twenty. Besides knowledge of rare confirmed allergies, you stated minor hurdles. 2nd shot side effects aren’t deadly, compared to adenovirus vaccine blood clotting concerns.

3 Likes

For you and for me, perhaps. I chose Pfizer for myself, but if and when the time comes to vaccinate my child, as much as I hate and distrust J&J and as much as I think I understand the mRNA mechanisms, I’m still leaning towards the old and proven technology, even with the one-in-a-million clotting risk. It’s 78% against catching the virus, but still 100% against severe illness.

3 Likes

Have you 100% decided to do that? I’m having trouble seeing why I should when the time comes.

I chose J&J and would do so again in a heartbeat. I liked the one shot feature. I liked that it was old technology. And after the shot:

I liked that I had zero reactions of any sort.

I did not opt for J&J to achieve near 100% immunity from any disease at all. I was satisfied with 100% protection against serious disease, hospitalization, and death. The rest I am handling by continuing to mask and distance. Being careful is not a serious burden for me.

So far so good.

2 Likes

I have not, which is why I wrote “if and when”. Even though there were posts above claiming that children do not get sick or do not spread it, it’s not true. I recently saw a page on a county website that showed the positive test counts of elementary+middle and high school children and teachers (in separate columns). The totals were in the thousands. And even if kids don’t get very sick (with very few rare exceptions, who, at least from what I’ve seen, always have comorbidities), they’re known disease vectors, so there’s value in vaccinating. And as I said above, I would not be surprised if a COVID vaccine is eventually added to a list of required vaccinations for daycares or public schools.

There’s limited kids long covid studies/data (since testing/ tracing has been so heavily discouraged for kids) but so far it doesn’t look very good – it actually looks like it may be worse than long covid in adults.

Of course, with “asymptomatic” infections of vaccinated adults, we’ll also have to wait and see if vaccine protects against long covid or just initial hospitalization/ immediate death. Hopefully it also at least reduces the chances of serious long covid effects.

With the vaccines appearing to greatly reduce transmission, we had the option available of driving down infection numbers before killing off all mitigation measures.

1 Like

MRNA results for kids 12-18, plans to seek emergency authorization like PFE has already gotten.

fairly long scientific essay. My bottom line is that like with many things with the Wuhan virus, we really won’t know until it hits us

2 Likes

One reason why we likely will need boosters for COVID-19

Boosters will be a giant cash cow for the pharmaceutical companies, another means for them to suckle at the government’s bountiful teat.

1 Like

Big pharma’s accomplishments are literally the best thing the government could be spending covid money on. There are millions of other sucklers claiming they are needed in the fight against covid that we should be concerned with before big pharma, which has actually done a fantastic job.

2 Likes

I hope AZ joins the club b/f I vax my kids:

“The publicity the lottery has generated has spread the word more cost effectively than a P.S.A. campaign would at this point, generating over $23 million worth of free ad equivalency dollars about vaccinations,” he continued. “[According to one estimate, preventing just 40 severe Covid-19 cases requiring hospitalization would pay for the entire program.”

Gov PSAs are terrible at motivating ads while money seems to be a great motivator

1 Like

single shot too. I would do the same as a low risk individual and for my kids if they can “clean up” their supply chain. They haven’t been in the news lately. Not sure of avail in AZ too.

amen. Wonder how they were so good at coming up with the disease, but not the vax…

1 Like

From a public health perspective, since herd immunity is the product of efficacy and vaccine penetration, a higher efficacy vaccine helps as there will unfortunately be these who refuse to get vaccinated.

And, I would rather be protected be virtually impregnatable against symptomatic covid, instead of just severe covid. It’s just another shot. I would take a 3rd shot in a heartbeat if it looked to be safe and provides more protection. Context: Flu shots are taken annually, but the efficacy routinely wouldn’t pass muster (>50%).

more lotteries

wonder if I would qualify thru my teenager :wink: rules haven’t been posted yet…

Ohio residents who have received at least one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine are eligible to take part in five $1 million lottery drawings. In New York, 12- to 17-year-olds who get vaccinated will get a chance for a scholarship to a public university in the state or the city of New York.
On Thursday, California announced it would spend $116.5 million on various vaccine-incentive programs. Two million people will receive $50 gift cards for completing their vaccinations, and 10 individuals will get $1.5 million each in a drawing set to take place June 15, the day the state drops most Covid-19 restrictions.
Louisiana’s governor said the state will roll out some incentives soon. But Mr. Edwards added, “I hope people don’t wait until there’s an incentive.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccinations-in-the-south-are-among-lowest-in-u-s-11622203201?st=o08u4nv8t7hm7ik&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

PFE vaccines linked to rare cases of heart inflammation, especially in younger aged men.

I haven’t seen the comparable baseline, but presumably it’s higher than that. OTOH, viral inflections often cause heart inflammation afterwards, so it could also be the case that many young people already got covid in the last 3-6 months and they don’t get tested for it until after the vaccine happens or something.

Either way, vigorous exercise is not recommended if you have the condition, which normally resolves itself in due course anyway, so in that sense it’s a lot less serious than potentially deadly blood clots.

4 Likes

Hopefully not relevant but immunosuppressive drugs don’t play well with vaccines. Sometimes an additional booster can work.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/immunocompromised-people-turn-to-covid-19-vaccine-booster-shots-11622626200

In a pa­per pub­lished in the Jour­nal of the Amer­i­can Med­ical As­so­ci­a­tion last month, Dr. Segev’s team found that 46% of trans­plant re­cip­i­ents had no an­ti­bod­ies af­ter two vac­ci­na­tion shots. Of the 54% who did de­velop an­ti­bod­ies, their lev­els were gen­er­ally lower than peo­ple with nor­mal im­mune sys­tems.

Trans­plant pa­tients and other im­muno­sup­pressed peo­ple of­ten get less of a re­sponse from vac­cines, but the re­sults for the Covid-19 shots were par­tic­u­larly bad, Dr. Segev said.

1 Like

[Mr. de Blasio] The mayor also said the city would host vaccination block parties during the summer. For young city residents aged 18 and up, the city is parking vaccination buses in nightlife spots, with incentives that include getting a Covid-19 shot in exchange for an alcoholic beverage for those of legal drinking age.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Gentleman passes away from COVID-19 after Moderna vaccination

Arthur Mitchell received his second Moderna shot, waited an additional two weeks, and only then ventured forth. COVID-19 infected him and killed him more than four weeks later:

COVID-19 breaks through Moderna vaccination

2 Likes