Who will join POTUS nominee Biden on the Democrat ticket as VP?

Susan Rice a more plausible candidate as well.

1 Like

As an update to my post, above quoted:

It has been announced that Mayor Bottoms, of Atlanta, has regrettably tested positive for COVID-19.

1 Like

Vice President Biden yesterday won primary elections in both New Jersey and Delaware.

This will add to Mr. Biden’s already winning delegate lead over Bernie Sanders, giving Biden even greater “say” at the convention.

Vice President Biden has turned to Chris Dodd to help him make his running mate choice:

Former Senator Chris Dodd now playing key role as adviser to Biden

Dodd is serving as co-chairman of a special task force that is vetting candidates to be Biden’s running mate. While three other co-chairs are helping in the process, none of them has the deep personal friendship and political ties that Dodd has with Biden, officials said.

While others have been raising money and plotting strategy, Dodd has spent long hours on the vice presidential vetting process, colleagues said. Dodd declined to comment for this article and is refusing all interviews in order to preserve the confidentiality of the selection, according to two close associates who have spoken to him.

Former state Democratic Chairman John Droney, an attorney who has been involved in multiple campaigns, said Dodd is clearly a close confidante of Biden who is “the first among equals” on the team helping to choose the candidate in a delicate process that is often marked by political jockeying and outsized egos.

Biden should chose 1)Obama…then he can have a 3rd term…2)Cuomo…he can ruin the nation’s economy like he did NY. tax.tax.tax and see 25k families move out of this state. I moved to a low tax area of NYS he forgot about!! 3) Stacy Abrams… Who cares about stereotypes!!!

I wrote earlier that by now Vice President Biden would have announced his VP choice.

I could not have been any more WRONG!! Such a total, hopeless, FAIL! So now, reality:

Biden, who committed to choosing a woman for the job he held for eight years under President Barack Obama, said this week he expected the background vetting process to conclude around July 24. He would then interview each finalist before making a decision, expected by early August.

So there you have it, updated information. We will have to wait several more weeks to learn Mr. Biden’s choice.

Side note slightly off topic:

It is interesting to reflect that the Vice President’s VP choice will instantly become a Democrat Party 2024 POTUS front runner. This unless you believe the Vice President will seek reelection when he is WELL into his eighties.

In any event, here is the place from which I lifted the above quoted material:

USN 7/17: Biden facing pressure on VP choice

He should hold off the announcement until the ballot printing deadline. Make it exciting.

I’d imagine he may want to announce it at the latest at the DNC. Since the last primary in Connecticut is on 8/11, he could easily hold off until after that claiming that he doesn’t want to affect the outcome of the primary with his announcement. But it’s no surprise that he’s not rushing to put someone in the firing line.

Historically, there has been plenty of late August announcements. Biden himself was named on Obama’s ticket on 8/23. Palin was announced as VP on 8/29.

I’m not sure what’s the absolute deadline though. Seems like Labor Day is definitely too late.

1 Like

Unless someone says it for him, his remembering and speaking the name in one sentence will be pretty exciting. :laughing:

3 Likes

If he announces the wrong name, do we give him a do-over?

1 Like

We must! It’s kind of like the guy who said the wrong girl won the Miss America pageant. :wink:

1 Like

ALL POSTERS PLEASE NOTE:

This is NOT a bash Biden thread. This is not where you come to post unflattering or witty comments about Biden, or point to what you think are his shortcomings. Please refrain from doing that.

The intent of this thread is serious discussion regarding Democrats generally, and Vice President Biden’s VP pick in particular. It is perfectly OK to post here, for example, remarks comparing one VP choice with another. For instance, if you believe Val Demings would be a stronger VP candidate than Kamala, it is fine to say that here and to give your opinion as to why.

This thread is for Democrat INTRA party matters.

We have the election thread wide open for you to post unflattering remarks about Biden, or Trump for that matter. Pretty much any partisan comment you might have is appropriate over there and is 100% on topic over there . . . . but not here.

Thank you

2 Likes

Sorry, @everyone and @shinbone. I think his announcement of a running mate will be exciting regardless of what he says, or how he says it. In this thread, I will also give him a pass if he mistakenly identifies the person.

1 Like

Merely as a speculative exercise I wonder to whom Democrats would turn should, God forbid, an unanticipated and unwanted fate befall Vice President Biden. For the record, I’m seeing NO indication of any such outcome occurring. NONE!

However, the gentleman will celebrate his seventy-eighth birthday in less than four months time. Take it from me, when anyone is that old stuff can happen at any time, and no bell rings to warn you in advance!

So back on the hypothetical:

Cuomo is the first name that for me springs to mind. He is prominent right now in Democrat political circles. He is vigorous and outspoken, well regarded by Democrats across the board, and he is age appropriate for the job of POTUS.

The biggest problem Democrats would have with Cuomo is that he is a man. And I’m seeing that as a REALLY big negative. Of course Cuomo, as Vice President Biden already has done, would quickly limit himself to a female running mate. That would help.

But strictly on the distaff side of the party, I think Kamala would be a prominent possibility as substitute for Biden. She has the gravitas needed and her skin coloring is preferable to that of Senator Warren. But Kamala’s law enforcement background might derail her prospects.

Following such a speculative exercise as the above we see, at the bottom line, the current importance of Vice President Biden as clear leader of his party, a figure around whom all may comfortably coalesce, a person entirely able to carry the party to a November victory. Democrats everywhere should be hoping, and praying, for Mr. Biden’s continuing and ongoing good health!

With who? I presume you made that comment in all seriousness. If not, please ignore.

Black Americans are a vital segment of Vice President Biden’s constituency. Among that group, a substantial number of persons has “had it” with the police in particular and with law enforcement generally. This, together with her Minnesota connection, is what forced Amy out of the running.

The fact Kamala is a person of color will provide her some cover. Enough cover? I dunno. But there are other women of color available on the Vice President’s list who have no police ties.

Example: Susan Rice

Rice will either be the VP pick or she will be Biden’s choice for Secretary of State.

2 Likes

Hopefully Biden will select Susan Rice as running mate. I dread the idea of Stacey Abrams being the selected one.

So once again, it seems that poor Hillary gets screwed 'er, 'uh, shafted, 'uh, is left out in the cold. :worried:

Those were all clearly intentional jokes, they just demonstrate a big uhbrain, that’s cognitively ‘there’.

You also left off calling Putin “Daddy” from your list…

Argyll

Please do not post anti-Trump material here. You are off topic here. I have re-posted your comment on the proper thread. This thread is for posts relating to Democrat politics and Democrat matters.

Thank you.

I again ask all posters to respect the topic here. We have an election thread. Please use it. No criticism of Trump, OR of Biden, belongs on this thread. The election thread is wide open for anything you want to post . . . anything at all relating to the election. This thread is for discussion of Democrat matters only.